*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560661
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1374190
Love, hate, tyranny, rebellion, war...let the saga begin!
#560661 added February 3, 2008 at 10:06pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter II - Brothers
The Gurwyin Mountains, In the Land of Cyll

Carrick woke to the chattering of squirrels and chirps from a curious bird. The post-dawn sky blanketed the forest clearing with a bright cheery feeling, its light blue surface studded with an occasional puff of white cloud. His head turned to the whuffling, shuffling form approaching. The fiery black bay nosed his way to Carrick's blond head of hair and mussed it up worse than its normal state. Putting his hand up to lovingly rub the horses' cheek, Carrick rested his head on his arm and enjoyed the light spring breeze softly caressing his cheek.
A noise caught his attention as his bay watched, alert, ears swiveling.
The branches of a thickly leaved patch of bushes parted to admit a well built, brown headed young man into the clearing. His grey eyes circled the peaceful area and rested on Carrick and the bay. A smile made his already handsome features light up.
"Still lying around Carrick? He cocked his eyebrow at Carrick as he strode over to their banked fir. "We still have to collect a few more herbs brother..."
"I know. I know" grunted Carrick, standing. "When are we going to eat those?" he said, pointing to the birds slung over Edric's shoulder.
"Tonight. We have some porridge from yesterday that we need to eat."
Carrick sniffed, but didn't complain.
After their breakfast, the two grabbed a leather pack each and headed into the forest.
"So…we need…what?" asked Carrick
"We only have the Six-leaved Tsephonninn Weed."
"Then Amonds crest it is!
Off the two hiked, over the pine-needle covered paths, winding through stands of giant oaks, redwoods, and the blue leaved Pequanis.
After an hour or so of walking they came upon a clearing…the size of a plain. But instead of a green grass and flowers, it was brown, black, and barren.
As they searched, they remembered their first time hunting for Tsephonninn Weed.


  '"Now, you must be careful not to stay too long, or there will be consequences" said their teacher, the healer Shenlinn. She sat with her wrinkled hands gripping her knobby staff and setting on a large stone.
"Why, grandmother?" asked a small boy.
"Because, Edric, we must not disturb the Shiken any more than necessary. This is one of their sacred burial grounds, and they do not with it to be disturbed."
"Then why do we stay here grandmother?" asked a second boy.
"The Shiken know me, and trust that whoever I teach will abide by the pact they have made with all healers, doctors, midwives, and those who use the art of herb-lore."
"Pact?" The two boys asked, their eyes questioning.
Shenlinn laughed. "You two are always full of questions then. Alright. The Pact was that we would gather only what we needed, and not stay more than an sun and moon transition. That is why we only stay here one day. They will not harm us, but will see to it that we stay no longer than that allotted time."
The boys nodded their heads understandingly.
"May we try and find the weed?"
"Yes. But you must follow any instructions I give you, and you must not pick up any rocks.."
"Bu—" Shenlinn cut them off with a finger to the lips.
"I will show you soon." She slowly pushed up from the rock to stand before the boys.
"Now, Carrick, you must not stray. Remember what happened in Tyrral?" Carrick's blond head bent in embarrassment as his cheeks burned.
"Yes'm"
"And Edric?"
"I am to stay by your side and carry your pack."
"Good. Lets go then!"
She led them onto the dry patch of earth, the land stripped of its crop nurturing nutrients.
"Why is the place called Amond's crest, Edric?"
"Because…" Here the brown headed boy stopped to think
"Because Amond, the son of Reuel, the first king of Alionistoe, found this Shiken burial site when he was sick with fever. A Shiken woman found him and, as she had no herbs to help other than a few Red-Leaven berries, gathered some Tsephonninn weed. She mashed the two together and applied them as a poultice to his wounds. In a day they were almost fully closed.
Since then, they have been the most coveted herbs in Itheryn. But they are only found in a few places. Amond's Crest, as this came to be called, is the best place to find the Tsephonninn weed, just as the lake of Pream is the best place to find Red-Leaven berries, although any ancient well or source of water will do, preferably calm waters."
"I'm impressed. You just recited line from line the book on history and herb lore that I gave you." Shenlinn had stopped walking, and now looked down at the boy, eyebrows raised.
"I remember everything I read, Grandmother. It was not hard." His matter-a-fact way of stating this surprised the old woman, but she said nothing further.
"Where's Carrick?"
"There." Said Edric, barely giving his brother a cursory glance.
'There' was a pit in the ground that Carrick was tossing blackened pebbles into.
"Carrick!" Shenlinn said sharply, fear tingeing her voice. "Get away from there!!!"
Carrick jerked upright, wheeling his arms to keep his balance. He was right on the ledge, yet seemed to not know what he had been doing wrong.
"I did not wander." He said.
"No, but I told you never to pick up any rocks. You must never, never do that again. Do you understand me, boy?"
"Y-yes grandmother." Carrick hurried to Shenlinn's side, his eyes betraying his unmasked fear.
"Gra—" "No Edric. I will answer no questions. That which is in the pit and what the pit is used for is not for outsiders to speak of. But know, that if you do mess with anything like that again, that you may never come back." Shenlinn's voice showed how afraid she was and how necessary it was to obey her instruction.
"Yes'm." The boys said in unison.
They continued in silence for a while, until Shenlinn started to quiz them on where to find the Tsephonninn weed.
"How many leaves does it have, Carrick?" "Six"
"How tall is it, Edric?”" No taller than my ankle bone."
"Where on the plateau do you find it?"
Edric piped up with the answer before his brother could make a peep. "You find it in little crevices, marked by a few reddish boulders around it. No one knows why this is so, but they have been found no-where else, nor have they been able to grow anywhere else."
Shenlinn nodded. "Very good."
Carrick just pouted.
Soon they saw what they were looking for.
"What do you see Carrick." He looked about, then excitedly asked, in a whisper, "Is that it? Are those the red boulders?"
"Yes, they are red boulders. Good. Now we must be very careful from here on out. The Shiken have a ritual where they have an alter to their gods and graves around these crevices. We must not disturb them. You must not step on any ground that seems unnaturally raised. You must not tread on and around, nor touch any gray rocks. They are ceremonial. And you must, above all, not be within five feet of the alter, made of white and green stone, for you will defile it, and it's uses will be very limited if not non-existent."
The boys just stared ahead, wide eyed, afraid to move towards the boulders.
"Come on!" Shenlinn strode resolutely ahead, her staff making a rhythmic 'thud' as it connected with the earth. Carrick and Edric followed hesitantly.
Soon they came to a mound of earth with gray stones scattered in a seemingly random pattern around its base. They were careful to avoid it, treading ever so softly.
"Wait" Hissed Shenlinn, who seemed a bit startled.
"This is the largest burial ground I have ever seen…" she breathed.
They looked around, and found themselves in a sea of mounds and gray stones. And in the middle of it all, were the Red Boulders.
"How are we supposed to get to the weed?"
"We walk" Was Shenlinn's resolute answer. "Carefully" She added.
"Watch your step." The warning was unneeded, but not unheeded, for they all picked their way carefully, if not hesitantly. Edric, not known for being clumsy, almost stepped on a gray stone, much to his dismay. He also was startled so much by a lone bird's call, the first he had heard in over an hour, that he fell back on his haunches, hands resting on a mound. He gave a startled cry and brushed off his hands. The dust had started to burn.
Shenlinn just gave him a sharp 'no nonsense' glance, and continued on.
They eventually came to the boulders, though their nerves were, by this time, raw. A wind had picked up, a whistling, breathy wind that instead of being a relief, send shivers of apprehension down their backs.
"Now boys, who will be the first to get the weed?" Neither of them moved.
"Carrick. You go first. Edric, you next. I will watch."
They looked at her askance. She laughed. "I have been down into the crevices many a time before. Now is your time. I will be here to help you."
She looked to Carrick. He licked his lips, his eyes wide, but he went. He slowly approached the boulders, then went between them. What he saw made his breath catch in his throat. There was a crevice of course, but about five feet below the lip, it turned into sparkling blue stone.
He turned to look at Shenlinn, who waved him on, a half-smile on her lips.
Facing the crevice, he looked for a way down. To his surprise, he found one. There was what looked like a set of well worn steps in the side of the rock. He found where it started, and began his decent. It took a while for him to reach the bottom, but when he did, he saw startled. The ground, instead of being hard packed dirt, rich earth, or even rock, was of a soft, springy material. It was also covered in a thin film of some sticky substance. He grimaced as his leather boots made soft sucking noises each time he moved. But move he did. In front of him was a hill, about his height, that was covered in a strange looking plant. He had seen pictures, and had memorized their characteristics, but he hadn't expected them to look so…odd. They were short plants, and were made up of mostly leaves, at least on the surface. The leaves were larger than he had imagined, or seen. They were about the size of his foot…flecked with green, brown, and white with their tips a shade of blue similar to that of the walls surrounding them. An unseen and unfelt wind seemed to send their leaves nodding in a hypnotic, rippling pattern.
'Now, you must grab the base of the plant, and pull towards you, not up. The more angle you have, the better.'
Carrick gulped, as he kneaded his hands. His palms were sweaty.
He walked up to the nearest plant, and reaches down, under the leaves. The stem was prickly, and when he met the soft spongy material that served as the 'ground', his discomfort was increased. But he pulled on that stem as hard as he could, and, making sure it was at an angle, braced his feet, leaning back. To his surprise, the plant came out as if from butter. This meant that while he had the plant, he also had a slime covered back and buttocks.
"Eewwwe…"
Carrick removed his hand from his backside, the slime stretching, and clinging.
The echoing sound of pebbles falling alerted him to his brothers decent.
'I'll just wait and see what happens to him' Carrick thought. He kept his back away from his brother’s line of sight, and held up his plant.
"It's easy. Come on!" Edric reached the floor, and sported the same disgusted look as Carrick. But he continued, and found himself next to one of the largest plants.
He reached down, grabbed the base with a stony face, and pulled. In Edric's case, he didn't splay his legs, nor brace them, and so was spared the slime covered clothes, much to Carrick's dismay.
'He's always lucky.' thought Carrick dismally.
They both squelched back up the steps after having gathered more plants. They filled both the packs that Edric had with him. Carrick fell twice more as a couple plants proved themselves to be stubborn.
"We have them, Grandmother!"
"Yes, we have them!" They shouted as they appeared from between the boulders.
Shenlinn eyed Carrick, who was now totally covered in the sticky substance.
"Yes, I see that." She said, slowly tearing her eyes from the gastly sight to Edric's shining face.
"Good work. Now, all we have to do is get back to the woods, and get cleaned up." Her last remark was aimed at Carrick, who just scowled.
They were able to wend their way through the maze of graves and stones with no mishaps, with Carrick making dismayed noises all the way.
By nightfall they were all clean and dry around a campfire, the Tsephonninn weed stowed safely at Shenlinn's side.
"I never, NEVER want to get more Tsephonninn again." Carrick whispered to Edric, who was licking his fingers of his supper remains.
"Well, I don't' particularly want to either, brother…"



"I thought you never wanted to hunt for Tsephonninn weed again Carrick!" Edric called, as he and Carrick were searching for sign of Red Boulders.
"Yes, well, I also thought that I'd never get the chance to go out on my own either. I will willingly pay this price to get more freedom. But this time, I'm not going to fall.”
But by the time they returned to their camp with the weed, Carrick was covered from head to toe in the sticky substance. He had fallen face first down the hill after a particularly stubborn plant had given way.
Edric just laughed as he stirred the coals and started striking the flint.
Then hooking a black pot to the pole above the flickering flames, he poured water from a pail in to boil. He then slung two birds from his shoulder and started plucking them.
"You could help, Carrick." He said, turning to where Carrick was undressing, pulling the coated clothes off with two fingers.
"I've cooked and hunted the past two days, Edric. Right now I'm going to take a swim. I sure need one..." he said, turning to look at Edric. Edric just gave him a laughingly disgusted look at his clothing and skin and kept right on plucking.
Carrick smiled and ran to the pool at the edge of the clearing. Its center was deep azure blue, and gave warning to its depths. Carrick didn't stop at the edge though; he just kept running and dove head first, right into the pool. Water seemed to dissolve the stuff, and it fell right off his body. He felt as clean as if he had just had a got bath.
His wet, blond head popped up and he wiped water from his icy blue eyes. They glittered mischievously as he treaded water. An idea had come to him.

"Edric!" He called. "Look at what I found!"
Carrick pretended to look at something on the edge of the drop to the pool's deep center. "It looks like a chest!"
Edric raised his head at this. His curiosity overcame his prudence as he set down the almost plucked bird and trotted over.
"Is it large?" He asked. Carrick's laughing eyes peered at him from under his brow.
"No." Carrick answered, struggling hard to keep his voice sound mildly interested. Playing simple and stupid tricks were his specialty.
"I am going to try and get it" then he dived in and acted out struggling with something heavy.
Edric came close, stood on a little ledge and bent over. Carrick came up and held out his hand to Edric.
"It's too heavy to pull up. I've got it loose though."
To Carrick's surprise, Edric actually took his hand.
Then--
Sploosh!

The water rippled around a sopping Edric. He scowled and trudged up to the grove.
"Thanks Carrick." He said as he people the shirt form his back and rung it out. "I needed that." Edric's face twisted to a grimace as water slid from his breeches into an ever growing puddle at his feet. Carrick came up to him and gave a lopsided grin.
"You're all wet Edric! How did that happen?"
"I have no idea." Replied Edric sarcastically.
"But while we both dry off, lets both prepare supper."
Carrick pulled on his breeches and shirt as Edric finished plucking the bird. In half an hour the fire hissed with dripping grease.
"Mmmm," Carrick threw a bone over his shoulder and wiped his hands on the grass.
"Glad you like it." Edric said after Carrick made more noises.
Carrick's eyes traveled to the woods as glinting slits disappeared, and an owl’s big eyes blinked knowingly. Then he lay back and closed his own eyes as the night became alive with the rustling of nocturnal creatures.
Edric watched and smiled as his brother's face became calm and peaceful in his sleep before he himself lay down to rest.
The next morning, Edric shook Carrick as he covered the smoldering embers of their once blazing fire.
"Carrick!" Edric shouted. "We slept late. We need to leave if we're to meet the Caravan."
Fumbling with his shirt, Carrick bolted upright. Dusting off his breeches he turned to Edric. He had lost track of the days. It was hard to believe that a fortnight almost passed.
"How far is it to Dunnelum woods?"
"Three days at a steady walk. We'll get back on the afternoon of the third day.
The brothers each grabbed two deerskin packs and surveyed the clearing. Edric had done his job well. It looked as peaceful and almost as untouched as when they first arrived. Only a little smoke rising from the once blazing fire haunted the area.
Then off the two hiked.
They traveled for two days through brilliant groves, around rain-bowed waterfalls, and in peaceful forests till they came to a vast expanse of rolling, flowered hills and waving crops.
"There's Dunnelum forest. We should reach it shortly after lunch." Edric pointed to a distant tree line.
"I hope that Father hasn't arrived yet." Carrick's face shadowed with worry. Edric spoke. "Shenlinn won't be mad, but Karrelt will find our conduct wanting if we are late." Looking over, Carrick noticed the grim expression on Edric's face as he spoke. In reply he insisted "But we left when we were supposed to!"
"Yes, and we also took longer in that small village if you remember right!"
Carrick had remembered and his face turned red as the memory surfaced.
When flirting with a village girl, he had happened upon the knowledge that she was soon to be married and that her betrothed was a very large, very strong, and very jealous young man.
"I didn't know she was engaged!" Carrick blustered, going through the same argument again. "But he sure was mad!" A smile crept on his face as he said this.
Edric snorted.
"Mad is an understatement brother. You had us hiding and running in circles for a day and a-half."
He stopped and turned to Carrick.
"Carrick, you must learn self control. Why do you do such things?" His tone was taking on the feeling of exasperation. Carrick just waved it off.
Shaking his head, Edric sighed.
"Especially as that is case, Father has every right to be angry as we will most likely return a day late." Looking at his brother, Edric sighed and continued. "This is the first time that he has let us travel on our own, without the 'more experienced' men. If we get back really late, he won't let us go on a trip like this for a while."
Edric then set forth and didn't speak till they came to the edge of the forest. His disapproving silence and grueling pace were much more effective in communicating the message, and were much heavier burdens to bear for Carrick then any words could ever have been.


Evening

The camp shone with brilliant colors, the many gloriously painted tents glowing in the firelight. Few heads turned when the brothers returned as most were listening intently to an old woman. She spoke of wonderful miracles, of an alter, its burnt offering, and the water around it consumed by fire. Cruel Emperors came into play, great battles were fought, and tales of humble shepherds were told.
She was telling the tale of a boy, who, when all others lost courage, fought a giant to save his people.
Pushing through the crowd, Edric came to stand by a broad shouldered man.
"We have returned father."
Karrelt's face turned upwards as he raised an eyebrow.
"You're late. You missed the first two stories. Come, get Carrick and sit. You can deliver the herbs to Shenlinn when the fires are banked."
Edric nodded and wound his way to Carrick's side. His brother was watching a young woman named Arylan and had to be dragged from the pretty wench's side.
"Brother! You should have come to father before swooning over Arylan." Here he paused. Carrick was ignoring him. Finally he got his brother's attention.
"Father has ordered us to his side. Come."
They both sat next to their father as the old woman finished her story. Mothers rounded up their delighted children who's heads were filled with fantasies. Karrelt and his sons walked leisurely through the crowd and came to stand at the woman's side.
"Here are my sons with your herbs Shenlinn." Edric set his bundles in her hands, as did Carrick. She carefully looked through them.
"I see you have acquired what I asked. Thank you. My old bones would have been unhappy with me if I went to find them myself." Here she smiled. Surprisingly she had all her teeth, and they gleamed in the firelight. As she bent to grab her oddly shaped cane, Carrick and Edric took the bags from her and started carrying them to her low hut
As fires were put out and tent flaps closed, four figures entered the hut, the shadows of towering oaks covering all with a feeling of security.
Inside, lamps of crudely wrought iron lit the hut. It was roughly circular, with a bed to left of the door, a table and finely engraved chest to the right, and a small, smokeless fire in the center fire-pit. "Come, sit." Shenlinn said, pulling three chairs from the table near the fire side. She said in a cushioned seat already positioned beside the flames.
"Now, tell me about your trip. Was it hard to find the rarer herbs on my list?" The brothers glanced at each other. Both had an aptitude for all things medicinal and herbological, and had not found the task difficult. Edric shrugged and spoke.
"We had no trouble. We found the Fernallion near the Carro-Falls, around dew covered rocks, just as you said; the Red Leavon-Berries close to ancient lakes and wells, and the rarest of the three, Six-leaved Tsephonninn Weed in the crevices in Amonds Crest. The others we picked up as we came upon them."
Carrick nodded to Edric's words, thankful that his foolish actions in the village, nor his falls in the crevices were voiced. Shenlinn nodded as well, hers a nod of satisfaction.
"I thank you again for acquiring them for me." She reached into a purse hanging at her side, sending metal to jangling. "I wish there was more I could give you." She said, pulling her closed hand out of the pouch and, having cupped their hands together, started to open it. "No! We couldn't!" They drew back their hands as if from a fire, affronted. "We will take no money from you!"
Shenlinn's eyes sparkled with mirth. "It is not money I have chosen to give." And with that she shoved a small, golden key into Edric's hands. They looked at each other, then to the old woman in confusion.
"A key?" Carrick asked. "To what?"
A noise in the back of the room drew their attention. Karrelt leaned against the wall, arms crossed, an amused smile on his lips. He looked behind them, staring pointedly at the chest. They turned to look at it, then back at him, questioning. He rolled his eyes and nodded.
"Your father is right. Open the chest Edric. You may both choose on Item. But be wise in your decision."
Slowly, the brothers approached the enormous chest. Edric's strong slender hands turned the key in the lock, causing a satisfying click on the other end.
He carefully lifted the lid, and was astonished at what he found. Carrick quickly knelt down to have a closer look. It was full of treasure!
Brightly jeweled daggers, finely embossed shields, hand wrought golden chalices, and magnificent helmets. It was a feast for the eyes.
"Why do you not live better then you do now Shenlinn, if you have this wealth to give freely?!" The brothers turned in astonishment to Shenlinn. She sat in her chair, head cocked at them.
"I have felt no want to do so. I have what I need. Those are for the ones who do me services, or who are in grave need of such things. I am just a keeper. God has entrusted to me those items, and I am free to give them to whom I please. You have done me a service, so I will do you one. Again, I warn you to choose well, for some lead to temptation of the heart and mind, while others will lead to favoring the weak and helpless, and standing for what is right. Many things are not as they seem, while other are more so. You stand warned." Her face was graven as she said this.
They turned back to the marvelous chest. Edric’s eyes wandered over the treasures, always coming back to one thing, a sword. It was of a simpler make than many others, yet had a certain kingly quality about it. The handle was thrice covered in thin leather lengths, with two engraved circles on the hilt. On one was engraved a vine twisting around a tree, and on the other, a tree with twisting roots around a heart. He reverently touched the crosspiece, where the swirling pattern bespoke grace and beauty, invoking thoughts of the wind and stars. The sheath was of hardened leather, encrusted with sapphires, rubies and diamonds in a winding, wandering path, the tip graced with silver.
Edric carefully stood up, the hilt fitting snug in his palm. He pulled the sheath off and laid it gently on the table. Giving it a few practice swings, he found that It move d as if an extension of his body. He had heard of swords like this, that seemed to choose its wielder, and that led to victory in almost any situation. He could see himself, becoming a hero, living in glorious splendor…in mid swing, the sword seemed to grow unbearably heavy. With a grunt, he lowered it, point to the ground.
Shenlinn chuckled.
"I see you have found Ciarbion. You must have been thinking of using her to garner fame a glory."
Edric turned red at this. She had guessed it exactly.
"How did you know?"
“Ciarbion was forged to protect, and was infused with the laws of chivalry. She was just called Bion at the time, meaning "Life". The man who forged it, Lael, was a great craftsman. He and his brother, in the second age of man, found the finest steel, and made two swords. The one you hold in your hand, and Thanatos. Lael's brother, Cai, forged Thanatos. His intent was not to uphold chivalry, but to further his own ends. When it was time to give the weapon a name, and a purpose, he instead wove a web of personal gain, self-service, and deadly accuracy. While Bion was given great strength, speed and accuracy for the use of good, Thanatos was given the same for evil. Hence her name, meaning "Death". The brothers quarreled, for Lael had found out the gifts that had been given the Sword. Cai argued that a weapon was to serve his master, and that one that focused on his personal wants was far better than one that resisted natural human urges.
“They quarreled bitterly, and ended up going separate ways, Lael to bestow Bion on a worthy bearer, and Cai, to forge a kingdom.
“Alinon was founded by Lael's son, Reuel, a name you should be familiar with. Reuel used the sword Bion to protect the Kingdom, and with her brought peace and prosperity to the fledgling nation.
“Cai used Thanatos to subdue the native peoples in southern Itheryn, and created the nation of Bezyne. We have been at odds ever since.
“The swords passed from ruler to ruler, until they were both lost in the great battle of Morana.
“I was given that sword many years ago, when I was but a young woman, and have been the keeper of it ever since. It is said that the twin swords, as they came to be called, chose their wielder. It has never been chosen in the numerous years since it has been here until now. Is there a reason that you chose Ciarbion, Edric?"
He stared at the sword in his hands. "I don't know…It just seemed…right somehow." He was at a loss for further words, yet Shenlinn appeared to understand.
"It is that way with many things boy, not just swords of legend. They call you, and if you answer, they become as one with you." She was running her fingers lightly over the knobby cane at her side.
"I would say that Ciarbion is your choice then?"
"Aye"
"Very well. Take good care of her. She has survived much and helped many."
Edric nodded, fingering the hilt.
"Now, on to you Carrick. Have you found anything that strikes your fancy?"
Carrick meanwhile was holding a delicately made crown of the finest silver, diamonds the size of pinheads sparkling enticingly. The front was of a diamond encrusted rose, the band twists of silver in an almost indiscernible pattern.
Hr looked up and, holding it gently said, "I know it seems impractical and silly, but might I have this?"
Shenlinn's eyes softened. She pushed herself up out of the chair and approached slowly. She took the crown lovingly from Carrick’s scarred fingers
"You surprise me at your choice. May I ask why you so desire this piece?"
Carrick glanced down, embarrassed and mumbled something.
"Excuse me?"
"Speak up boy!" barked Karrelt.
"I just think that it feels right. It's like… it's as if I know that there will be a reason for me to have this, and someone that I will need to give it to. I can't explain it better than that. I don't quite understand it myself."
Shenlinn looked at this bent, wavy blond head curiously.
"It's yours then." She hobbled back to her chair and started rocking…back and forth…back and forth.
"You have chosen well, the both of you. I know not what all God has planned for then, and you…and yet…" her voice trailed off as she eyed them.
"Karrelt."
"Yes, Old one?"
Shenlinn raised her eyebrow, but continued. "Your sons have been given great gifts. See to it that they learn to use them and protect them."
Karrelt bowed his head.
"As you say."
As Edric slid Ciarbion into her sheath, metal rasping on leather, the spell that had been weaving itself around them seemed to break.
They all noticed the dying fire, their shadows dancing on the dim walls.
"I'm afraid we must get back to our wagon. Thank you Shenlinn, for your generosity."
Karrelt bowed again, this time from the waist and strode towards the entrance.
The brother each said their thankyou's as well, and followed their father out of the now open door.
"There you are!" exclaimed a tall, slender woman, her long silky tresses bobbing as she confronted the three men.
"Are you hungry?" She asked, kissing Edric and Carrick on the head
"No," said Karrelt
"Yes."
"Yes."
Smiling, she nodded and, straitening her apron, went back into the wagon.
As Karrelt followed the woman, Carrick and Edric stowed their possessions, including those Shenlinn had given them, in their wagon-side tent. They smelled the delicious aroma of Carrot Stew wafting form the open window to the wagon.
"Mmmm…I've sure missed Mama's cookin'!" exclaimed Carrick setting the crown gently in the chest at the foot of his cot.
Edric likewise put Ciarbion in his cot-side chest.
Pushing the tent flap aside, he turned to Carrick.
"Yes, I love her cooking too. But if we don't get in there, we won't have any. So come on!"
Carrick just grinned as he stood up, shut the lid to the chest, and locked it.
Turning to Edric, he said "Mama would never do that. Let’s go anyways, though."
He loped up to the wagon and went in through the brightly painted door, his brother following with a wry smile on his lips.
"You two must be very hungry after your trip."
"Mhm!" agreed Carrick as he grabbed the bowl and started to lift it to his lips.
"Ow!!" He shouted as his knuckles were rapped by a spoon.
"Pray!" ordered his mother, pointing to a place setting on the table, with a glass of milk and a spoon.
And so Carrick prayed. He said the words, but ignored the meaning, intent on getting his meal. As always, Eric's prayer was longer than his.
After the meal, when bellies were full, the boy’s mother plied them with questions.
They told all, even the part about Carrick's mishaps.
His face still burned bright when Edric told about the village.
Karrelt was in his favorite position, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. When he heard about the maid being betrothed, he gave a snort of laughter, his eyes dancing in amusement.
"And I suppose that is why you were late today?"
"Yes" answered Edric.
"All is forgiven then."
The brothers looked at each other in surprise.
"Do you think I didn't have things like that happen to me? The only reason I met your mother was running from a mad suitor and her finding me in the family barn!" Here he laughed out loud and looked at his wife.
"Tandy just stood there, staring at me with that confused look she gives when she is at a loss for an explanation. You know the one." He said, looking at Carrick. Carrick had a lopsided grin on his face.
"Yup. She sure is cute when she does that." Tandy rapped him over the knuckles again, this time with a playful smile playing on her lips.
Carrick returned the smile, though his took on a wry discomfort as he massaged his fingers.
"Yes, I may be cute, but I know now to use a spoon, and knife." She said, her eyes glinting in the firelight.
Her family grunted in agreement. She had shown her prowess with a knife many a time. No one could beat her when she chose to wield her blue steel dagger.
"Enough talk. I think you two had better get some sleep. We will be leaving shortly after dawn tomorrow. I hope you haven't picked up any bad habits, such as sleeping in late while you were gone."
Edric and Carrick gave each other guilty looks, but said their goodnights, and went back to their tent.
"I sure hope that Carrick learns some lessons soon." sighed Tandy as she cleaned the kitchen.
Karrelt came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and giving her a kiss on the cheek. She turned around to return it.
"They are still both boys. They will learn in time."
Tandy nodded, though here eyes were worried.
"I hope so…"


In the morning, with the soft light of dawn caressing the top of the wood, the caravan was getting prepared to head on their wandering path again.
"Good bye again Shenlinn." Karrelt looked fondly at the old woman. She returned it.
"I will pray for you and your family." She said as she pulled his head down and gave him a peck on the cheek.
Turning to the two boys, she said "I am grateful to you both for bringing me what I asked. Just remember to use your gifts wisely!" Smiling, a glint in her eye, she then kissed them both on the heads and hugged them.
Carrick looked back from his seat at the head of the wagon to where the Old woman was waving them off, at her lonely clearing, and her loving smile.
Sighing, he turned back to the road and urged the mules onwards, towards the horizon.
"Goodbye grandmother" he whispered.


Blair Hansen
© Copyright 2008 Katerina de Annika (UN: history.luver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Katerina de Annika has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560661