*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567379-In-small-doses
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#567379 added February 13, 2008 at 3:54pm
Restrictions: None
In small doses
In small doses

There is something to be said
for short cold winters:
2 weeks to kill off the bugs,
long nights to make us thankful for sun,
enough bitterness to help us define what is joy, yet
... not so much as to kill it.

© Kåre Enga 2008 [164.507b] 2008-02-09

BLOGVILLE:

jayngram wrote about the use of third person voice in "Invalid Entry. I responded:

First person is either the voice of the author or the persona of the prose or poem. However, a reader may read it in their own voice. It is immediate. (as is present tense)

Third person provides distance (as does past tense). It allows you to assign gender and number. He/she/it/they say very different things.

Write something both ways and play with it. If you feel too close to the piece, ask opinions. You'll get all different answers! But it may clarify.

The trickiest writing is 2nd person and future "tense". They can sound prophetic or insightful, even accusatory. Both can get the response: No! No way! Not me!

I write poetry not prose, but tense and person are very powerful tools. Have fun learning how to use them. *Bigsmile*

Deelyte- Chillin' talks about on-line relationships here at WDC versus IRL in "Invalid Entry. I commented:

I agree with the need for love and tolerance. I try. There are people here that seem so different from me, but I read most of them anyways. I've found out (being older helps) that I have some-little-thing in common with everybody. Sometimes, it just takes time to figure it out!

I wonder whether any of my friends IRL read my blog. I worked for years with people that didn't truly know me and family didn't either. I stayed behind masks. Still do to an extent, but less here in Blogville.

One friend of mine IRL is so opposite from me that it may take an extra lifetime to figure it all out. I'm game. I'm there for the long haul. I admire him for who he is (which is not what I can ever be). No need for him to be another me.

dareng has moved from Alabama to Delaware. Hope he enjoyed the winter storm!

ME:

The sun is out!

I read 5 poems last night at Aimée's: "One mile closer to Omaha", "New Jersey Street", "In the evening", "Report by the first fish to climb the atoll", "Count of Cluj observes the Fast". I also read my Geneseo poems to Sam (because she's lived there and knew the context): "Wayne Hall, 1970" and "Over the edge".

I had a pork sandwich yesterday and ate out again today. I budget for two-three times per week. This time I got to talk to Miss Brenda. We talk about the local issues that this town tends to cover-up. She has great insight and always has her ear to the streets.

Also got to kid Victoria about wearing her candy bra for her husband's birthday today. Yep. A bra made of candy. *Laugh* It was a gag gift from co-workers for her birthday, but it seems appropriate for today!

It's a nice day today.

Kansas: 43º, sunny and mild.
2329

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567379-In-small-doses