*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570798-Make-up-for-Feb-26-LL-517-words
by Justyn
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1384124
Daily entries, inspired by 500-Word a day group
#570798 added February 29, 2008 at 8:46pm
Restrictions: None
Make up for Feb 26 LL 517 words
“Ah, my Lacey,” Justyn said. Jake noticed her smile slip a little. “I do love being her campaign manager. There’s so much to DO. So many details to take care of that Lacey is too busy for. She needs to be out with people. I’m perfectly happy running things from my desk. And I feel like I’m really making a difference, knowing that SHE will make a difference. She’ll be such a great mayor. I can’t wait to see the things she does for this city.”

Jake waited for the rest of the sentence that he was sure came next. When nothing followed, he raised his eyebrows at Justyn in question.

“And? “ he asked.

“And what?”

“And, what came next? You didn’t finish your thought.”

Justyn frowned as she realized that Jake was right. She sighed, not sure what to say.

“Everything ok with Lacey? Everything ok between you two? Seems like something’s up, Red.”

“Oh, its nothing, really. I worry about her, of course. I think that’s part of my job description. That’s me, Justyn the worry-ier,” she said ruefully.

“Last time I checked, you usually weren’t the kind to worry unnecessarily. That whole level-head on your shoulders thing you’ve got going on. What are you upset about? Is the campaign not going the way you guys had hoped?”

“Oh, no, its not that. Things are going great in that area. Hm, I guess she just doesn’t seem….happy.” Justyn sighed again, as she realized how sad Lacey’s unhappiness made her.

“Unhappy? She seems ok to me.”

“Yeah, she is. She’s doing a terrific job campaigning, and the people love her. She’s so fired up for the changes she wants to make, and she’s able to tell people why these things are important. And she’s SO happy with her job. But….” Justyn trailed off.

“But Lacey’s unhappy somewhere else in her life, and that makes Justyn unhappy, right?” Jake finished for her.

“I dunno, Jake. It just seems like there’s something missing in her life. Something more important that she should have.” Noticing how glum the conversation had become, Justyn quickly changed tone. “You know, something more important than me.” She winked at Jake as she said the last.

“I don’t know, Red. I thought you and Lacey were all that each other needed,” he ribbed her back. “I mean, my God, the two of you are so close you’re joined at the brain stem. What one of you knows the other does too. And on the flip side, what one of you DOESN”T know, the other one does.”

“I’m not talking about friendship. I can’t imagine my life without my best friend in it, and I know Lacey feels the same way. I mean, come on. There ain’t nothing’ like your girlfriends,” Justyn said with a smile. “But sooner or later…..”

“What? Sooner or later what?”

“Ah, never mind. I was just getting all dramatic all of a sudden. Sorry, Stretch. I didn’t come down here to unload on you. Yeesh, I’m not even sure how we got on this topic.” Justyn said abashedly .

© Copyright 2008 Justyn (UN: kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Justyn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570798-Make-up-for-Feb-26-LL-517-words