*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570823-Feb-29-LL-558-words
by Justyn
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1384124
Daily entries, inspired by 500-Word a day group
#570823 added February 29, 2008 at 11:35pm
Restrictions: None
Feb 29 LL 558 words
“Ah, Justyn, friend here, remember?” Jake said, waving his hand in front of her face. “That’s what friends do, remember? We listen to each other dump.” Jake paused for a moment. “And it just so happens that your topic of conversation and the one I had in mind seem to run along the same lines.”

As serious as the subject was, Jake got a momentary thrill when Justyn’s head whipped up. He wasn’t quite sure it was shock he saw on her face, but definitely wariness. As sharp as she was, it was so much fun to watch when she her be surprised.

“Your…topic of conversation? I thought you wanted to talk about security for the campaign, or the details for the gala or something. You said it was about work”

Jake enjoyed the blank look on Justyn’s face for a moment more before answering.

“No, I said it was sorta business-related, only not really.”

“Ok, Jake. You only get to hear this once in a very great while. But what the HELL are you talking about? I am totally in the dark! And you better tell me soon, before I bring out my fire-bolts again,” she finished with a smile.

“You asked me earlier how Chad was doing, and I didn’t really answer you. Mostly, because I wasn’t sure how. The short version is that Chad’s going to have one hell of a shiner by tomorrow, if he doesn’t already.” Jake glanced at Justyn, and could tell by the look on her face that he wasn’t explaining things well. And judging by the drumming of her fingers, no matter how playfully, he knew he better get on with it.

“What, did you punch him? Did you get in a big girl-fight over the ball?” Justyn teased.

“Well, in a manner of speaking. My elbow and his nose sorta collided hard enough to cause a gusher. Not on purpose, mind you,” he quickly added.

“You jabbed Chad in the nose? Did you break it? Wait a minute,” Justyn paused as she mulled over things. “Chad’s a damn good basketball player, its usually pretty hard to get one by him, even for you, Stretch. His game must have really been off.”

Justyn sat lost in thought for a minute. Jake waited patiently for the awareness he knew was close. He knew he had to let her get there on her own; he also knew it wouldn’t take much.

“So Chad’s game was off…Chad who’s game is never off….Chad who is so distracted that he let your elbow past his guard…” Jake had the decency to look a little ashamed. A little. Justyn continued. “Chad who is so distracted by….”

“Holy s***!” There it was. Jake knew the moment Justyn realized what he was talking about. For once, she was unable to keep her emotions under check. They passed over her face, as clear as a bell.

“So then….ah, then what? You biffed him in the nose and then you two went merrily on your ways, and you called me to ask me out on an un-date?” Justyn wasn’t sure how to proceed, so she covered herself with humor. She wasn’t sure if she should share with Jake what she knew about Chad and Lacey. Would that be betraying their trust? Even though, technically, Chad had never confided in her.



© Copyright 2008 Justyn (UN: kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Justyn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570823-Feb-29-LL-558-words