*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570824-flashing-lights
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#570824 added February 29, 2008 at 11:35pm
Restrictions: None
flashing lights
The visual disturbances that started out looking to me like small bugs whizzing past, gnats maybe, have now metamorphed. In the day light, they are like wisps of hair I occasionally try brushing out of my left eye-- annoying. As the sun got lower, they became like summer lightening that you see only on the periphery and turn to see the actual show. Oh well. It's very common, I hear.

I had three new patients today, only one of whom I got to meet. Her family, it was reported, was the most in need of some support. She lives the farthest away, and, although she had just gone down for a nap, her daughter and nephew were very talkative. Then she got up, and she was very talkative too. From what they'd said, I hadn't expected her to be that communicative by now, and it was a pleasure to hear her. She is in her 70's, used to drive an 18-wheeler from Vancouver to Florida, and remembered every date, weight, charge and payment for every trip. Her family had told me that she had certain house rules, mainly about allowing only cheerful conversation. They didn't think she was religious, had never known her to go to church except for weddings, but said she believed in God.

When she wakened, she stayed in her room, which was closed off from the rest of the old house built in 1896 by French doors. Her daughter said she was just using the commode and she'd talk to me in a few minutes, but I could see her having a cigarette in there. Then she came out, told everybody where to move, how to situate her chair, what to bring her, and sat down to talk. She is clearly a woman in charge, and one who is not ready to die yet, even though it may not be long. I hope it will be, unless her tumors become as uncomfortable as I fear they will. I will enjoy visiting, and am welcome to come any time. I don't have to call ahead, or even knock, just come in. That's a treat.


© Copyright 2008 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570824-flashing-lights