*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573977-She-wants-to-know-if-Im-lost
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#573977 added March 16, 2008 at 5:36pm
Restrictions: None
She wants to know if I'm lost.
"Invalid Entry My mother never asks if I’m lost. She doesn’t have to because she knows I’m directionally challenged. If it weren’t for the scar on the ring finger of my right hand I wouldn’t know my left hand from my right hand. It’s not that I lack intelligence or anything like that. I have a high IQ (at least I did the last time I took one of those IQ tests).

The problem has nothing to do with lack of intelligence. It’s simply… well I’m not really sure what the problem is, but I know it’s not lack of intelligence. If that was the case then no body on this planet would have a sense of direction. No one would be able to tell their right hand from their left hand without looking at some sort of scar or picking up a writing implement.

I got the scare when I was in grade school. Not at school, I never got hurt at school. All my accidents and injuries occurred on my own time. My grandfather put a swing up next to the garage and behind the swing was a cloths line. A wire with a sharp hook hung from the cloths line. One day I was playing on the swing. I decided I was Jane (Tarzan’s female friend). I grabbed the wire and my grandfather took me to the ER for stitches, which is how I got the scar on my ring finger.

As for my lack of direction, I don’t know where that came from, but I also have difficulty reading maps. The two may be related and it could be genetic. In order for me to read a road map I have to pull over to the side of the road. Get out of the car. Unfold the map. Figure out which was is east or west or north or south. Then I have to turn the map in the proper directions to read it. Believe me, you don’t want to drive across the country with me at the wheel. Maybe I’d be good on Lost.

The way I get around Las Vegas is to drive by landmarks (not the hotel). If I can’t find a recognizable landmark I’m lost. I use MapQuest when I’m going anyplace new, because it tells me which streets to take from my house. Whoever created MapQuest is a Saint or should be.

** Image ID #1382532 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573977-She-wants-to-know-if-Im-lost