*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/580532-Student-Sucess-Interview-Completed
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#580532 added April 20, 2008 at 10:47pm
Restrictions: None
Student Sucess Interview, Completed
Student Success Interview
Leah Rosetti
Culinary Arts student
Phoenix Community College

By: Christopher DiVirgilio



"Everyone has the world in the palm of their hand; never give up."

Phoenix College culinary arts student Leah Rosetti is taking her mother's words to heart. The U.S. Navy veteran has traded in her Navy whites for chef's whites and is well on her way to making her childhood dream a reality. The Arizona native and mother of two enrolled at Phoenix College in the fall of 2007. She will graduate from Phoenix College in 2009 with an associate's degree and hopes to transfer to Arizona State University where she will work towards earning her BAS in Food Management.

After only one year of school, Rosetti has already made a name for herself. She is currently the president of the International Honors Society, Phi Theta Kappa, and has been published in the February 2008 issue of Family Circle, a nationally circulated family magazine. Her Arizona dried-tomato chili recipe was featured in the reader's recipe column. All this would be impossible if not for the unwavering support of her husband, Steve. "He keeps me on track and is my best friend in life," she said through smiling eyes.

Rosetti attributes her drive to her service in the Navy. Following in a long family line of military service, the combat veteran served aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln during both golf war campaigns as an aviation ordinance technician. Her military career and her ability to perform her duties would soon be altered after a seemingly routine exercise turned into a long and drawn out disaster.

While securing an F-18/C that had just landed on the carrier deck, Rosetti and her crew were removing the ammunition and multiple ejection racks (M.E.R) from the wing tips of the aircraft. The M.E.R attaches to the aircraft and holds and subsequently deploys the missiles when called upon by the pilot. Due to the size and weight of the M.E.R, two crew members are needed for its removal, one on the front and the other on the rear, and together and in unison, the device is lowered and stowed. It was during this instant that the crew member on the front of the M.E.R lost his grip and dropped the assembly. Rosetti tried to manage the entire 600lbs of the awkward assembly but fell to the deck with the crushing weight of the M.E.R on her chest and shoulder.

Not realizing the full extent of her injuries, she brushed herself off and continued the mission. Over a three year period, she moved on to new commands, but slowly lost her mobility and ability to perform her duties, until being confined to a wheelchair, not knowing if she would ever walk again and was honorably discharged from the Navy.  It's been a long and trying recovery for Rosetti, but her determination to walk again was her own inspiration.

Rosetti's military training and real life experience has no doubt given her the drive necessary to tackle any challenge life has to offer. Adjusting to college life was one such challenge. "I did allot of research before choosing Phoenix College and was impressed with the fact that the students are educated; not pushed through," she said in reflection. Attending school on a full-time basis as a full-time mother involved child care rescheduling and the full support of her husband. The staff at Phoenix College also helped in calming the "new-student-jitters" for Rosetti by offering excellent guidance and advice. "Lamar Chapman was my inspiration to attend (Phoenix College) as a full-time student," she said of the Veteran's Liaison representative. The Veteran's Center, which is located in the admissions office, regularly assists veteran's enrolling at Phoenix College by processing G.I. Bill paper work as well as offering some one-on-one guidance. Her teacher, Chef Anthony Ridindo, has been a motivator from the first day of class. "He is my mentor. He is patient and his passion for his work shows through each day," Rosetti said of the culinary instructor.

Rosetti is already thinking beyond the class room and has plans to fulfill a life long dream of running a bed and breakfast. The Rosetti Inn will be located in Bellingham Wash., and she and husband Steve are currently scouting property in the small port town. "We'll start small but hope to open to the public and offer brunch and dinner specials," Rosetti said. The Rosetti family is donating family relics and Leah plans on proudly showcasing her family history. "Everyone is pitching in to help and Chef Ridindo has offered to help us get things in order in the kitchen," Rosetti said excitedly.

From Navy whites to chef's whites, things are certainly coming together for the Phoenix College student. Rosetti will always be guided by the inspirational people throughout her life and always recall what her mother always told her.   

"Everyone has the world in the palm of their hands; never give up."

             




© Copyright 2008 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/580532-Student-Sucess-Interview-Completed