*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/581662-barely-trust-em-theyre-all-puppets
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1371715
Welcome to The Library. Randomness happens, Studyees.
#581662 added April 26, 2008 at 2:20pm
Restrictions: None
barely trust 'em, they're all puppets
I paid my moral pennance to Mother Earth this morning...I guess it really pisses her off when I flick my cigarette butts on her roadways.

Clean Up Depew Day went well, but I swear I've never picked up more butts in my life. And I know they weren't mine because I'm never in the area I was working in. Big turnout this year too. Good to see a lot of young people there helping out, even if they were mostly there to fulfill their community service requirement before graduation (which I think is a good idea, making kids do community service...it's a good way to foster good habits that hopefully last long after commencement). I even got my picture taken along with 2 of the village trustees; if it makes the community paper next week I'll try to post a link.

But hobnobbing with the local politicians is interesting. You know they're always nice and friendly in a public setting. And you also know they're twisting a knife in someone's back when you get them alone.

My landlord, for example. Great guy. Known him for years. He's been a trustee for a long time and he knows a lot of people. He's always got a story for me when he picks up the rent, be it about the village, people he knows, or even the place I live in, which was converted from a bar he used to own. And I'm polite. I listen, and I really don't mind his stories, even if some I've heard before.

Get him out in public, at a social event, and he's a chatterbox like you wouldn't believe. I see it and don't think anything of it, but I can see how people can get annoyed by him. I really thought at one point the mayor was gonna slug him for putting the chips and Doritos and other munchies out before the hot dogs and pizza were ready (and I really don't blame him...it's the customer service in him that goes back to his barkeep days, plus the earlier the food's out means it's likely there'll be a lot less left over). I overheard several people talking slight smack about my man. But it's politics. I keep my mouth shut because you never really know who knows who and who knows what. And if I ever decide to get any further involved with the village, I don't want people talking shit about me. It's not my business to get all involved with other people's feelings toward each other (unless it's blatant or harmfully disrespectful...that's different). My question is this: is it really human nature to seek out the flaws in people and highlight them to others behind someone's back? I'm sure I've even done it at some point, and perhaps I didn't even know if I was doing it. I know I can say some pretty stupid things at the worst possible times, but I'm especially careful around certain groups of people and today was that day.

So that's it. Got some sun, a little color on my skin. I did a good thing for the village and the earth. The humidity has officially returned and I'm hoping I make it home before the thunderstorms they're advising us may or may not happen. And I can make it home in time to pay the rent and catch another story from my landlord *Rolleyes*. Off to your blogs then...hope it's a beautiful day for everyone. *Smile*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZvyPe9Ox-4

© Copyright 2008 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/581662-barely-trust-em-theyre-all-puppets