*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/590313-One-Way-Or-Another
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1371715
Welcome to The Library. Randomness happens, Studyees.
#590313 added June 11, 2008 at 11:30pm
Restrictions: None
One Way Or Another
I had a whole 'nother idea for a blog entry today. Then CWC blew all that up on me. Chill on this great 80's song that I actually heard twice on the radio today while I tell you a little story. It won't take too long. I actually have this song on vinyl (and if I have to explain what "vinyl" is, you're probably too young to be reading this anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeIY2rP2HWI

Today's the day. I get her by herself at her girly counter. I'm diving into the ocean, sink or swim. I'm not nervous. But damned if she doesn't just duck around the damn issue. She should be a skiier, the way she slaloms around in conversation.

CWC: a terse (but polite) "Hi."
me: "Yo." Cuz I'm cool like that.

**short pause**

me: "Ya know, I could think of better places to meet besides here." What the fuck do I have to do? Wear a sandwich board that says "Come and get it"??

CWC: Sarcasm is the sword I live and die by. I think I died a thousand deaths today. "Yeah? Like the side of the road where I almost run you over?" At least she said it with a smile. And Quick Draw McGraw over there beats me to the punch with "Have you figured out how old I am yet?"

me: I've got to play this one right. She looks good today so I go with it and say "Age is tricky. I mean, some days you look 27. Somedays, not so much..." I don't remember if I actually added the "not so much" part, but I'll leave it in there.

CWC: "Considering you know how old my kids are..."

me: "Yeah, but I don't wanna offend you either..."

CWC: "You won't."

me: "OK. I'll go with 33."

CWC: Smiles and shakes her head no. B-1, CWC-0.

me: "Am I close?"

CWC: "I'll be 36 at the end of July." Awesome. That little factoid will indeed come in handy.

me: "Your turn"

CWC: "Guess how old you are? You're definitely under 30." Very incredulously stated, by the way.

me, trying to avoid any bit of laughter: "No. Not even close. Try again."

CWC: "Ok, 30?" Smartass.

me: "Nope."

CWC: "31?"

me: "Nope. 33 at the end of July."

CWC: "Nice."

All these damn distractions. She won't say yes but doesn't want to say no. I may have to get Jedi on her. But I'm pretty sure she's off tomorrow, so it'll have to wait until Friday. Until then, I might just run up and down her street with a boom box blaring this old-school jam while running from the cops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9XrZviPMwg

Debbie Harry looks like someone's drunken aunt singing karaoke at a graduation party. Hope it's a good day for everyone.

© Copyright 2008 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/590313-One-Way-Or-Another