*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591180-Oh-yeah--We-are-really-moving-forward
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1436063
My son's recovery from severe abuse and the horrors of Attachment Disorder
#591180 added June 15, 2008 at 8:14pm
Restrictions: None
Oh, yeah! We are really moving forward!
Though we still have a lot of the "gimme" talk going on, there are some wonderful strides being made!! He has his own bed in his own room, and is sleeping in it every night! Whooo-hooo! What a victory! He is still haunted by his fears, but is courageously tackling them, and sleeping in his bed, with his kitten, Gabbie, every night.

An amazing thing happened Saturday. After letting Tony and Vincent play at the city pool together, we were going to allow Vincent to spend the night with us, and go to church with us this morning. The boys were restless, and I kept an especially close eye on them. The Play Station 2 couldn't hold their attention. Basketball wasn't appealing. They were restless, and that nearly always spells trouble. After they had been outside for a few minutes we checked their whereabouts. They were in the process of climbing a utility pole behind our house!!!

That was it. I was already concerned about their restlessness. I had a very calm, and matter-of-fact talk with them. After explaining the dangerous nature of what they had done, I informed them that I would have to take Vincent home. I reminded them that the reason there had been a long time before, in which Vincent had not been allowed to come over, was the fact that they were making bad choices when they were together. I explained that it was my job to help them learn how to make good choices, and that this was the only way I knew to teach them that.

Tony cried and pleaded, but I was firm. I drove away, not really knowing how he would handle himself while I took Vincent home. When I came back, he was still crying, much the crying was less intense. I explained one last time the reason, and then informed him that the subject was closed. I assured him he would have another chance to show that he could make good choices with Vincent, just not that night.

Today, I asked him how he had managed to calm himself down from his anger. He said, "I just did." This is the first time he has gotten that upset about something and has been able to calm himself down without playing basketball to get rid of the rage. This is major progress. Whoo-hooo!

Before he went to bed I made a special effort to have some fun time with him. Being silly, pretending to hypnotize him and make him act like different animals, tickling him, etc...When bedtime came I got lots of good hugs and kisses, and all was well. What a delightful child he is becoming!

Warrior Mom
GROUP
Open Door To Grace ♥  (E)
Christians who will pray with YOU!
#1372872 by Marvelous Friend

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#632338 by Not Available.

** Image ID #1437731 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #1435990 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #1420491 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2008 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (UN: mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pat ~ Rejoice always! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591180-Oh-yeah--We-are-really-moving-forward