*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/595443-Hammers-and-Drills
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#595443 added April 11, 2014 at 4:32am
Restrictions: None
Hammers and Drills
I decided to give my liver a few weeks vacation and seriously cut back on the alcohol consumption. I've done pretty well so far this week, by my standards. I only shake for three hours when I get up in the morning now and am down to five hallucinations a day.

It seemed unfair then to wake up with a headache this morning; I don't do headaches apart from the alcohol induced ones. It wasn't helped by the loud drilling noises outside. I thought all the house building closest to us was completed, but it seems the powers that be have now decided to resurface the pavements leading to this new housing estate, starting today right outside our front door. Take two paracetamol.

The weather forecast for today was horrific with heavy rain predicted, so hubby cancelled his round of golf. Not a drop all morning however, which left him free to continue breaking up the front drive he's been working on for three years now with a ruddy great hammer. Take two paracetamol.

Yesterday I purchased a key box to install on a wall outside my parent's house, to enable the social workers to have their own key. Hubby said he'd fit it today so I set off for La La Land on foot, which is when the forecast rain decided to arrive and when I get there discover hubby already drilling holes in their wall. My Dad is supervising of course; no one is allowed to do anything on his premises without being under scrutiny. I go in to see Mum.

'What's that noise?' she asks immediately.

'Just drilling. We're putting in a key box so the ladies can get in if you don't answer the door.'

'What ladies?'

'The ones who help you get washed and dressed and get you something to eat.'

I go upstairs to check everything is in order then return to Mum.

'What's that noise?'

'Just drilling. We're putting in a key box so the ladies can get in if you don't answer the door.'

'What ladies?' *Rolleyes* Take two paracetamol.

The drilling stops and hubby comes in to tell me he's finished.

'Oh, ' says Mum. 'I didn't know you were here. What have you come for?'

'To put the key box on the wall.'

'What key box?'

'The one to put a key in so the ladies can get in if you don't answer the door.'

'What ladies?' By now, the thought of going to the dentist is quite appealing.

Next stop, to see the gorgeous Mr Du Toit for the next exciting installment in the tale of the delinquent tooth. This requires some drilling to remove the porcelain still stuck to the back of my tooth from the last failed experiment. In fact, the drilling goes on and on and on...

'I can't believe how hard it is,' comments Mr Du Toit. It's some years since I've heard a young man utter such words.

Eventually, mission accomplished and off we set for home. Take two paracetamol.

While I was in the dentist hubby went off to buy a new CD drive for our other computer which is playing silly devils. He says he'll fit it while I use this one. Five minutes later he's dragging the hoover upstairs and sounds reminiscent of the dentist's drill but twice the volume drift downstairs. Seems he's decided to vacuum clean inside the tower. Take two paracetamol.

So that's my day so far which has done wonders for my headache. If hubby starts snoring in the chair later I may be tempted to use that ruddy great hammer myself. I'm contemplating cracking open a bottle of wine but better not. Alcohol doesn't mix well with paracetamol.

I think my resolve may weaken tomorrow however as I'm going out for the day with my friend Joy. Her burpday was on Monday and it's my sister's tomorrow so I have to drink to that don't I?

By popular request I've squeezed some photos of the Isle of Wight into my very full albums. Just click on the one below.




© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/595443-Hammers-and-Drills