*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596093-Favre-Vs-Thompson
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#596093 added July 13, 2008 at 3:00am
Restrictions: None
Favre Vs Thompson
There may be more to learn that will leave Packers' fans tongues wagging in days to come. It gets uglier on down the line to hear this rift between Brett Favre and Ted Thompson or whomever is blocking the path to this return. The Packers GM (Thompson) is sticking to his guns, but he's going to lose in the court of public opinion. You don't step on Superman's cape.

I don't think Favre is being unreasonable. I think he may have been hasty and the victim of one bad decision. You don't retire unless you are certain, but I can't blame him for wanting to play again.

You just don't go and snuff out a legend like this, either. Thompson can't stonewall Favre, the media and fans like this and be so stoic. But from the sounds of it, the Packer organization has their GM's back. So, who's going to question him? Will the team's shareholders, or are they a bunch of yahoos that just want to schmooz and yuck it up when the get together for this upcoming shareholder meeting?

Where is the unity of voices and who is trying to play down these stories and hope it doesn't get the collective tempers to boil and sing from the big tea kettle that GM Thompson started brewing some time ago? I think he's behind Favre's decision to pack it in and he probably also ticked off the QB who now wants to play somewhere else.

Now that Thompson is playing this game of chicken, will number four go through with his demands? He has to show up for mini-camps and hold that clip board to start collecting his salary. He needs to pressure Thompson and cast a shadow on the heir apparent. Most important is that he's the man and needs to hear his fans echo in unison.

How could we get tired of watching him play? Yes, all the retirement rumors and what-not got tiresome. But, did fans really want to hear him speak those words in March? I think that would be a resounding No.

I think Thompson has been orchestrating this for some time. He wants Favre to look like the bad guy, at least to those who will back the Pack, the organization. He wants it to appear Favre is the devisive one.

I look at this and see that Favre never had a strategy, a game plan for his retirement. He didn't have one for his decision to return. How could be deemed the manipulative one? On the other hand, Thompson has been holding all the cards while Favre has had to play along. But now the quarterback wants to trump his boss. It sounds like he's ready to blow the whistle and call time out here, and he's ready for some big interview that will lay out just what went into his decision to retire and return and how Thompson muddled things up.

Thompson should wind up with egg on his face or do an about face fast, because the unborn poultry should come...and hard.

© Copyright 2008 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596093-Favre-Vs-Thompson