*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597551-Moss-Favre-Thompson-A-closer-look
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#597551 added July 20, 2008 at 8:47pm
Restrictions: None
Moss, Favre, Thompson: A closer look
One of the sticking points in this feud between Packers GM Ted Thompson and quarterback Brett Favre seems the inability to sign former free agent wide receiver Randy Moss.

Considering what Favre told Greta Van Susteren at Fox News last week, he had Moss in the fold and all Thompson had to do was tender an offer that would have been a bargain given the receiver's ability to perform. Favre iterated Thompson's concern that Moss didn't look good on game film, he was taking plays off.

Considering Moss was hated as a rival Minnesota Viking, it would take some adjustment to see him in green and gold. But there is more about this controversial receiver that maybe concerned Thompson and his vision for the team, whatever that vision may be, but it's easy to suspect.

Thompson could take the salary hit, could take some of Favre's salary to pay Moss and see little of the beloved 'cap' figure diminish, which essentially isn't being used anyway since the GM bulids through the draft. Moss isn't the type to be a team leader or motivator. He seems to lack the values that the organization might be trying to instill.

But Favre said it could be a one-year deal, just to see. That's about what Moss ended up with in New England before taking his team to the Super Bowl and an undefeated season while catching a record number of touchdown passes.  Favre can point to all that now and say Thompson missed the boat. I don't think Thompson cares about how much Moss elevated the Patroits to a record setting season. He cares about that vision he has for the team, even if it should be flawed.

Thompson has his youth movement. His shut up and play mentality would be in jeopardy. I think he really thinks with McCarthy as coach, players will just fall in line and get with the program. And Favre, being the little troublemaker that he is was poisoning Thompson's water.

Sure Favre has an obligation to get with the program and see it through and he signed on for most of it. Problem is, he is the star and a central component to the team, and as the catalyst wanted to help out using his connections to get the team to that next level, the Super Bowl.

Having Moss come through town could have gotten the team there, too. The players, even his receivers, all seem to still love Favre even though they knew he was lobbying for someone who could replace them, cut into their playing time or diminish their own goals and shot at glory or a bigger pay day. I think everyone knows Favre would attempt to do this to give their squad a shot at the ultimate championship.

No, it was Thompson who is letting the gear out slowly on this vehicle he is building, restoring, trying to return to former glory. But, in sating his own vision without incorporating the input of others, he's stalled his own ride. It's suspect now whether he'll have everyone on board after the Favre fiasco that continues to unfold.

Thompson needs to loosen up on the reigns and embrace Favre while still holding true to his core philosophies. He's tarnished the Packer legacy and could have avoided this as far back as 2005 when he took over by doing a better job of communicating with Favre and his vision for the organization.

I think 'stoic' is an apt depiction of the man, because he is not forthcoming. Stonewalling the greatest Packer of all-time and disappointing fans and those concerned will all be parts of what Thompson will be forever remembered for, unless, and just maybe, if he can take this team to another Super Bowl win. Most will say, don't count on it, especially if Aaron Rodgers or any other quarterback should navigate the Packers with the maps Thompson has designed for this team.

Thompson needs to make amends, because the burden to win is much greater for the Packers now.

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597551-Moss-Favre-Thompson-A-closer-look