*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598335-Packers-Shareholders-Not-All-Pleasant
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#598335 added July 24, 2008 at 6:30pm
Restrictions: None
Packers Shareholders Not All Pleasant
Gathering from the news reports of events at today's Packers shareholders meeting at Lambeau Field, some chilly receptions were given to team officials.

Different news outlets are spinning this thing both ways, some playing down the reports of disgruntled shareholders. Watching video of the reception the first speaker and Packer CEO Mark Murphy got was the ugliest with a lot of booing during his remarks.

But what some news outlets focus on is anywhere from a more patient crowd to one that gave GM Ted Thompson a standing ovation and was even more kind to head coach Mike McCarthy.

Guaging fan reaction and trying to understand the mentality of the crowd that was there, I came to one conclusion. The early booing caught many by surprise. It's likely team officials tried to detract a negative atmosphere beforehand. Shareholders who were of a more positive nature may have decided to stand up and give Thompson a warmer reception after what happened with Murphy, because they were clearly masking some of the noise unhappy fans were making.

I'd say Thompson got a somewhat favorable reception, but there's no doubt in my mind it would have been a lot worse if he were the first speaker. It seems supporters of the organization and those who feel compelled to bring a more positive atmosphere to the table stepped up to help deflect the displeasure many attempted to demonstrated.

Looks like they rallied in the stadium atrium and were passing out petitions for Favre's return. I think this story will be spun both ways. Though, the court of public opinion, where more hardened sports fans are concerned, seem to come out against Favre as someone who has put himself ahead of team. I don't understand how it got to be about that when  he's requested separation from the team because they won't let him back or that he has to compete for a job he's rightfully entitled.

So, I'll keep watching this, but I would say score one for disgrunteld fans, regardless of what you hear people spin about that shareholders meeting. I figured these people would roll over in the dirt and scratch their bellies under the sun, buy many didn't. It looks like many wanted to be heard, and many wanted to show their displeasure.

I think where they come out might be just the way the organization has handled the whole thing. That they should have been prepared should Favre say he wanted to play again and to not stonewall or file tampering charges and throwing dirt after dirtball.

Judging from comments from people like Murphy and Thompson, they are steadfast with moving forward without Favre and aren't the least bit contrite. This may be over. I don't think Favre is going anywhere but staying retired at this point. I don't think he likes his options, since he can't return to the team as the starting QB. I wouldn't rule out his entrance should an organization lose a starter and should want to call on Favre as a replacement. That is yet to be seen, but many say the pressure will be on the Packers if the injury prone Rodgers become sidelined.

More later, I'm sure.

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598335-Packers-Shareholders-Not-All-Pleasant