*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599352-To-Hattiesburg
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#599352 added July 31, 2008 at 1:18am
Restrictions: None
To Hattiesburg
My reaction to an article written in the Hattiesburg American talking about Favre running late for his meeting with Mark Murphy today. First the article:

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/NEWS01/80...

My reaction:

Favre was preparing to fly to Green Bay. Why did Murphy have to hop the quickest flight out to meet with Favre anyway? Seems the Packers are going way out of their way, almost like physically repressing him from leaving Mississippi. These actions speak loud to me.

I understand the foot dragging by the Packers if they are trying to avoid a media circus, but why is Goodell sitting on the paperwork? He is helping the Packers buy time, and you can forget the insinuations that Favre got Goodell on his side as a mediator. The Packers want to make it look like Favre is getting favorable treatment.

Again, the manipulation behind the scenes all favors the Packers. They got the heads up from Goodell and they had their ace in the hole waiting with Murphy. They act dumbfounded, but they've got a response for every move Favre makes. This is a big game of chicken, and they are going to lose in many different ways, tarnishing a storied franchise with this constant muddy debacle being hauled back and forth in front of the media and fans.

The guy just wants to play. The Packers just want him to stay put. There is no real mediator here, so Favre is pushing the envelope to get back his right to play, and be in a situation like he was in last year, to be able to get to the playoffs and possibly a Super Bowl. He is entitled that much, no matter how bored people have become on his indecision about retirement. Many great atheletes have been cut much more slack than Favre in an attempted comeback.

If anyone is being divisive it is Thompson and company by stonewalling, by not letting Favre compete for the job he held 16 years straight without every missing a beat. Seems Thompson had an agenda when he took over as GM. Phasing out Favre was his end game and he can admit defeat.

for more...my comments at profootballtalk.com:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/30/favre-murphy-conclude-meeting/

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599352-To-Hattiesburg