*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599276-Packers-CEO-Grows-Wings
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#599276 added July 30, 2008 at 3:22am
Restrictions: None
Packers CEO Grows Wings
Mark Murphy is flying to MIssissippi to save the day and end this thing once and for all. It's being reported in my local rag that folks behind the scenes know that the Packers CEO is meeting with Favre and his agent in Mississippi to persuade Favre to stay away from training camp in Green Bay...

the story:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/PKR01/80...

Now, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell may have given the Packers a heads up and sat on the paperwork so the Packers could work over Favre one more time in hopes of winning this test of wills. Favre should have been on a flight to Titletown Tuesday, but he may have known that this one last crusade was coming to his doorstep.

Funny to think that in late March, McCarthy and Thompson were ready to board a plane to persuade their bride not to run from the alter. Now, what kind of proposal can they offer, so they don't have to bail out of their second (and real intended) marriage to Aaron Rodgers?

For the Packers to act this quickly lets me know that they aren't being reactionary on this, but prudent. They may have been the ones that lured the NFL commissioner into this, and have his aid in stonewalling Favre some more. Don't anyone think for a moment that Goodell is on the side of the players. This simply reveals the man will air on the side of management, the way he is expected to perform his job. So don't expect some great negotiator to step in. He's done his work, including mulling over some phony tampering charges that were also supposed to make Favre and the Minnesota Vikings blink.

Favre likely knows what he's up against. He wants a release from the team...the only thing the Packers can offer at this point to keep him out of camp. This may be heading to a quick resolution. Don't expect a trade but a release with conditions.

The Packers can't take him back at this point without getting a lot of egg on their faces. They can't have fans cat-calling after each Aaron Rodgers incompletion with Favre riding the bench. They can't have the man don his number four as a starter, because they will lose face with everyone from media to fans and ultimately their players.

I feel Brett needs to hold out for one and only one thing, his unconditional release from the team so he can go play for the Vikings and haunt his old team that tried to bury a hatchet in the back of his helmet when he tried to come back from the dead.

It's sad to think that it's come down to this. They could offer him his entire salary to stay at home, but it won't fly. The collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow that sort of thing. Pay only to play, trade or cut 'em.

I've read that Favre can be traded once reinstated and he cannot block such a transaction. However, he doesn't have to report to a new team, as was the case with Jake Plummer a few years ago to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I don't think money is a factor in the Mississippi mudslinger's strategy. I think getting back his job or getting revenge are the only avenues intriguing enough to get Favre out of retirement.

He wants to join Darren Sharper and Ryan Longwell inside their snug and cozy dome and exact a little justice for what ownership among NFL teams do to old dogs they don't want to hunt with anymore.

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599276-Packers-CEO-Grows-Wings