*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599444-All-Signs-Point-to-Green-Bay-for-Favre
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#599444 added July 31, 2008 at 12:52am
Restrictions: None
All Signs Point to Green Bay for Favre
An unproductive meeting in Hattiesburg, Miss. seems to sum up a wasted trip by Packers CEO Mark Murphy. And if the report in the Milwaukee Journel Sentinel is true, they've stooped very low to keep Favre retired. This story is here:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/30/report-packers-offer-favre-...

What perplexes is why spend that kind of money to keep him retired? $20 million dollars was offered to keep the legend on his tractor instead of in another uniform? Methinks, as a business decision, there's a lot behind this debacle that fans don't understand. Pundits might be getting closer to a money issue here. What is the retired Favre worth to the Packers then, if $20 million is supposed to buy his silence?

Favre obviously doesn't care about that. To me, that offer and subsequent meeting seems like another insult and more fuel for the fire to return as a player. Expect Favre on that next flight to Green Bay. I'll be checking depatures from Hattiesburg. Boy, would I love to free myself up to be at the airport when that private jet lands.

One problem. Goodell is still sitting on that paperwork. And, if he sits on it any longer, I wonder what will hatch next. There's no reason he couldn't have reinstated him by now while the two sides hash this out. Favre has the right to be on the active roster now. Aaron Rodgers is getting his reps and getting more time in camp to prepare, another excuse the Packers will use to say Favre will not be ready in time to reclaim his starting job...as they use their 'avoid the media circus' ploy.

These delay tactics and the commissioners involvement seem more conspiratorial than helpful and I don't think this is about giving the two sides time to come to a resolution. Favre is sticking to his guns. He wants to play. They've already said he was welcome, and then Favre was told they needed more time, and now they're bribing him to stay away from Green Bay?

In some respects, this is like extortion. And we all have to suffer through PR whispers that Favre is being divisive and selfish when it becomes more and more apparent that Ted Thompson and company have steered Favre down this road over time, hoping he'd eventually retire. But, he never gave up. I think this finally shows he has the resolve to play. All it ever took is a team and management that didn't play head games with him, because they lied and manipulated all along to phase him out of the organization.

This is classless and unworthy of an organization in a proud community that uniquely supports its team. I really hope when the dust settles, everyone can see what has been going on here. They've tried to make Favre look like the bad guy, dupe fans into being pro-Packer and anti-star athlete, forgetting what he has accomplished, how he perservered, and what he gave to the game. And what he could still give, if they weren't so adament about snuffing out his light before the great athlete is certain he has no more to give.

Start saving your rotten eggs and tomatoes Packer fans. Retribution is coming.



By the way, my comment at the Journal Sentinel about this story is as follows:

Alright, a new precedent in negotiating that can be added to the next collective bargaining agreement. Players who unretire while still under contract and threaten to reinstate then show up for training camp can earn a hefty compensation package to keep their butt planted firmly on their expensive couch cushions. Throw in a lap dog to seal the deal, while you're at it Murphy!

So, this is good business sense? There must be revenue the Packers will lose on number four merchandising rights if he goes and plays somewhere else, even retires as the member of another team? Hmm? I would really like to know if this business decision to keep Favre retired is tied to the team's future revenue potential, i.e. selling jerseys, etc. What rights do they keep if he stays retired?

Very curious proposal. Sort of a bribe with a little extorition on the side, you think?

Brian Keith Compton
Green Bay

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599444-All-Signs-Point-to-Green-Bay-for-Favre