*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599634-Waiting-On-N70NB
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#599634 added August 1, 2008 at 1:06am
Restrictions: None
Waiting On N70NB
A smattering of fans lined up outside the fence at Austin Straubel Field in Green Bay last night hoping to get a glimpse, maybe the last, of their golden boy, as the setting sun obliterated my vision of small planes that taxied in and out of a private adjacent area. The onlookers were waiting on a twin-engine Cessna that was supposed to bring Brett Favre back to Green Bay. It would have been a small welcoming, though anywhere from five to six satellite trucks with reporters and photographers doubled the number of those anticipating a return that would not be.

Everyone from ESPN to profootballtalk.com to local stations were saying a flight out of Hattiesburg was scheduled to arrive in Green Bay. First, at 6:46 p.m. and then delayed until after 8:00 p.m. before it never showed. The sun was no longer an obstacle while darkness permeated the air and my hopes of getting some video, a few words for my blog.

Returning to my truck in the long term parking lot, I tuned in ESPN radio and the first news at 9:00 p.m. was Favre was giving serious consideration to this $20 million dollar retirement package, and my heart about slipped to the pit of my stomach. Is this what we waited for? If he takes that bribe never to play again, what a sour taste that will leave in many mouths.

Shame the Packers for trying to sweep a legend under the rug. But to take that steaming steak right off the table when you're hungry for another shot to play, for another title contention, why would you?

Mr. Favre, is this what you came out of retirement for, to be oustered off center stage again, behind the curtains, to count your gold in the shadows while the rest of us starve now for another season, another miracle year of hope and joy to watch you cavort on the gridiron and show the world that age ain't nuthin' but a number?

How can we have any hope now? It's all dashed, it's all gone if you leave like this. Now, we don't really know what this compensation package is. I hear that it would mean you could not play for anyone this season, and since the Packers don't want you, who's left? Rumors start to surface that Thompson would consider trading you to a division rival, but then the Bears stupidly say they're not interested. Are the choices to play again that bleak?

To me, you are the guy that flies by the seat of his pants, makes whimiscal decisions at times that can please or disappoint. Don't let this buyout be a defining moment. Grab a helmet and head to New York, Tampa Bay, or Minnesota, if it's true. Draw up those plays in the sand this season if you have to. You always seem to find a way to win, to make it work out. And if not, we have fun watching.

Show the Packers what they're missing out on. It's implied you don't need the money. You got the itch. Get a football and let's scratch 'til your skin rubs right off. Let's see whats left in that tank. Just don't leave us standing here, retire again when hopes seem so high, when you finally have the upper hand on the Packers. You are close to getting what you want.

Make Goodell reinstate you and report to camp. Force the Packers to send you to the team of your choice or force them to reconsider, because they really are idiots for moving forward without you.

Don't sign on the dotted line. Standing at the gates, eyes aimed at heaven, just a fan who can do nothing but wait.


I made further comments on this subject at profootballtalk.com (an excellent source for football news and gossip) A link followed by what I wrote:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/31/favre-considering-money-for-nothing-de...

When it looks like he's broken Thompson, who now apparently would consider sending Favre to a division rival, this buyout becomes a real possibility?

I'm wondering if the Packers did more than just say we'll give $20 mil to shut up and go away. Do they have a smoking pistol of some kind in this high stakes showdown? What do they have on Favre to make that itch go away? Murphy must have some really rough nails. Favre wasn't holding out for money. Something will smell like rotten cheese in the state of Wisconsin, if it goes down like this.

My vigil at Austin Straubel last night and response to the latest news:

http://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599634/

You know, if he doesn't like his options, I think the class thing to do would be to walk away from the Packers and the hush money, because it would be a double hit on Packer/Favre fans if he takes that slice of cheese home with him.

© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599634-Waiting-On-N70NB