*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600904-Olympics-Book-Reviews--Life
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#600904 added August 8, 2008 at 5:43pm
Restrictions: None
Olympics, Book Reviews & Life
Anyone else excited to see the opening ceremonies for the Olympics tonight? I am!! My favorite are the swimming, diving, and gymnastics.

Oh - and Manny Rameriz joined the Dodgers? My husband was thrilled. Heck, so I am but I hate to see my Sox lose him. sniff....

Joseph

Joseph, my 22 month old has developmental delays. We've been working the California Regional Center, having him evaluated and he started his child development therapy this past week. His biggest challenge to stay focused on one task w/the therapist. He makes good contact and is social but he looses focus easy. He's on a 4 week waiting list for speech therapy and 6 weeks for occupational therapy.

Work

Is the same old-same old. In two weeks I go for a training course on day watch hours in downtown LA. Me a couple of co-workers are going to take the train. I'm very excited about that.

Movies

Sorry, no new movies. Haha! I did get the last couple of episodes of "The Closer" for my IPOD but I have yet to watch them. Sigh... I love having my IPOD. It's a great way to catch up on shows & movies I might miss.


Written by: Diane Setterfield
Washington Square Press
406 pages
$15.00
5 Stars

Diane Setterfield weaves a gothic tale that is eerie, fascinating, and utterly compelling. World famous author, Vida Winter seeks out an amateur biographer, Margaret Lea to finally tell her true life story to the world. Vida has never told the truth about her life to anyone, but now that she’s facing death’s call, it’s Margaret she selects to tell her last story – her thirteenth tale.
Initially, Margaret is apprehensive, but Vida spins a tantalizing web of incitements that Margaret can’t deny.

Margaret goes to Vida’s estate in early winter to start her project. Vida is close to eighty years old – a strong determined woman whose name is really Adeline March. She tells Margaret all good stories have a beginning, middle and an end. She starts her last tale recounting the sordid history of the Angelfield family. While rich, they live eccentrically. George’s wife dies in childbirth leaving him a son, Charles, and an infant daughter, Isabelle. As Isabelle grows up, Charles develops unhealthy behavior patterns towards his sister. As a teenager, Isabelle runs off with a suitor, but returns within months – her suitor dead and she, the proud mother of twin girls, Emmeline and Adeline.

George, having passed away years ago, has left a wealthy estate to his heirs, but as the servants hint at, Charlie and Isabelle have a touch of ‘madness.’ After Isabelle is committed to an asylum, the local doctor hires a governess to teach the girls. The governess, Hester, discovers the girls have a touch of ‘madness’ as well, but feels that Emmeline, with the proper encouragement can be productive in society. Hester feels there is little hope for Adeline who is rough, high-strung, and practically turns into a vegetable when Hester and the doctor separate the twins to see what will happen.

While Margaret listens to Vida tell her twilight story, she’s struggling to cope with her own demons. Margaret herself was a twin and unfortunately she lost her sister shortly after childbirth. Compounding Margaret’s struggles, she meets a man, Aurelius, at the old, decaying Angelfield manor who has an unusual connection to the estate. As December marches on, Margaret discovers there are numerous dark twists and unexpected turns to Vida’s story. The end of the thirteenth tale will stun the reader just as it did Margaret.

Setterfield’s story is one that will hold the reader’s rapt attention throughout. The writing is crisp with dark overtones. Reminiscent of V.C. Andrew’s original Dollanger series, the surprises that await the reader will keep them on the edge of their seat.

© Copyright 2008 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/600904-Olympics-Book-Reviews--Life