*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/607624-Burial
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1364628
My blog of fun, love, frustrations and me.
#607624 added September 17, 2008 at 7:39pm
Restrictions: None
Burial
Well, it was a rough morning. I couldn't sleep after I woke up to eat before sunrise. Came on here and was able to speak to a few friends that always have some kind words, warm hearts, and can make me laugh anytime. So thank you. I really needed that this morning.

As I tried to go back to sleep at 6:30am for at least an hour, the beginnings of a poem kept rattling around in my mind, keeping me awake, and bringing tears to my eys. When I finally got out of bed at 7:30am, I got dressed and ready for the funeral, then sat down and wrote this for my grandfather. Never has a poem just spilling forth for me, but this one did somehow.

Irish Folk Song

Oh my love
Where have you gone
Over the hills
Across the pond
To see the land
You used to know
To find me again
A fact I know
For here is where
You long to be
Holding me close
Eternally
I hear the music
You bring forth
Whispered to me
Of love and loss
So sing it now
Pull me near
And whisper to me
An Irish folk song

I am not happy with the ending, feel it's a bit rushed, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances. I put a copy of that into the hidden box in the casket where momento's go. Even printed it in green.

The church service began, and all those pent up tears just came out. I couldn't make it thru the first hymn. I was able to reign it in off and on. Michelle, my only sister, and I draped the casket with the pall. My two boys and husband were pall bearers along with another great-grandson, and my two brothers.

Afterwards was a luncheon and then onto the cemetary. I honestly didn't expect to see him lowered into the ground, but we gathered around the gravesite, paid respects to my grandmother, and uncle who'd passed in 1981, and 1974. Before too long, the vault came into view, with the flowers that adorned the casket at the funeral home. After he was lowered to the ground, we each tossed a flower down onto it, and they began covering the grave. It was truly something I was glad I got to see. The entire procedure, and Irish's final resting place, beside his beloved wife.

I was even able to forgive someone that I thought I was going to walk away from for the rest of my life. No easy feat. I did realize that not everyone is strong, we all have our breaking points, and vices that sometimes screw up our entire world. It's not my job to judge them by their weaknesses. It's my job to be there. To help when I can. I know that now, and I will work to rebuild that relationship, and hope that they will get through their problems.

My uncle that passed away had one daughter, and we don't get to see each other enough. But through this, we grieved together, and I somehow feel closer to her. We live in the same state, but two hours away. Usually see each other only during the holidays, but I think that will be changing as well. It's not enough. We need to keep that bond strong and the only way to do that is by contacting one another. I'm looking foward to doing just that.

That's it for today - and remember

Live, Love, Laugh - always



© Copyright 2008 Purple Celebrates (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Celebrates has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/607624-Burial