*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614465-Glazer-Get-Set-Up
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#614465 added October 24, 2008 at 7:21am
Restrictions: None
Glazer Get Set Up?
I'm slowly getting my own read on this story with Favre and Lions that FOX reporter Jay Glazer broke. My previous entries detail the events Glazer purports as gospel truth, while he is finding little support around the league for his story. He's been the hot, go to guy for breaking NFL stories as of late. I wonder if this made him a mark to be taken down. Consider that Glazer may have put too much faith in his sources for another big story that is one of the hottest going in the league right how with Favre being ushered out of Green Bay.

I'm working on a column with my theory and would appreciate any input. It needs a better summation and focus, as I get too caught up in defending Favre's actions. Here's what I've got so far:


Who was the fall guy for the Favre-Lions story? Was it supposed to be about Favre, or was it to put the reputation of a hot reporter on the line? Perhaps, his sources duped him into believing this hot potato that fell into his lap was an ironclad NFL story that could further catapult him atop the heap of NFL writers who break big stories.

When you’re getting spoon feed info like this from half a country away, you must have really wanted to break this story badly to let it come out without doing a proper sniff test. Or, someone duped you into believing these 'facts', by using these unnamed sources with this gospel truth about Favre, and now it might come back to bite you in the ass.

Glazer may have gotten greedy with this story. He thought he had the goods on Favre. But it’s not all as bad as it initially sounded. It can’t be proven who called who or how much information was shared and in what capacity. But NFL pundits are now getting a crack at this story, since Favre is on the record denying any wrongdoing. Many don’t believe he did anything wrong for one, and second, didn’t have that much that could help the Lions prepare for that game where they were soundly defeated.

So who was the goat here? Did Glazer think he had another Patriots spygate  level story here? And it seems he may have been more than a bit miffed that other media outlets, especially ESPN, didn’t pick up the story. It’s even rumored they quashed it, because they could not corroborate Glazer’s allegations. So, while he was hung out to dry, Favre denied any wrongdoing. Especially not to the extent Glazer was reporting.

Did Favre speak to Detroit coaches individually for 60 to 90 minutes and did he initiate the call? Favre says no on both counts. And what could he share, since NFL sources all say anything he knew while a member of the Packers would have been changed by now, like hot read codes or hand gestures.

Glazer sticks by his story, but he opened a can of worms that may ultimately tarnish his reputation. It’s his word against Favre’s since the unnamed sources aren’t likely to come out of hiding. So, was he set up? Perhaps, there are people who are threatened by his recent proclivity to break some big stories. Why have so many come to him over other sources at ESPN and Sports Illustrated in recent months? Will the tide now turn back after the handling of this story?

It’s possible that Favre was the bait to get a greedy Glazer to take a nip. He may be learning a journalistic lesson after this one is all said and done. How well can you trust your sources? If you are too eager to break a big story and stake your reputation on sources who can leave you high and dry, how will you get yourself out of that corner? Glazer will break more stories, but he should be a little more cautious next time. He might have to watch his back, because as the hot reporter, there may be some out there who would like to see his reputation lose some of its luster.

Now Mortenson and King can rest assured they will still get their share of the big stories. The new guy might not be as trusted, because he was too eager to burn an NFL legend for a chance to secure his current fame as an NFL news source.




I speak from experience as a former reporter (newsprint, radio and television AND now internet). I know how information gets out there and sources usually don't divulge information without some kind of agenda to back it. I feel the media is often played to get a message out. And it could have been attempt to further discredit Favre, but it could have also been trying to take out two with one bullet. Or, maybe it was intended to take Glazer down a few notches, because he was giving some credibility to FOX.

I just know you can't get too cozy with your sources. You might feel you are in the know when you are manning the phones and talking shop with all these sources. But they don't all want to be your buddy. They don't get paid for their information, usually. And if they are, then you really have to question the motive for spilling info.

It's apparent Glazer may have bit off more than he could chew with this story. I would be curious to see if there is anything more that can come out to support Glazer. The longer this is strung out, the more scrutiny he will get for reporting this story. ESPN did not jump on it, especially when they could'nt verify it.

You can bet that the angle might have been to find a smoking gun in the Favre-Packers break up. It's character assassination, is what it is. Glazer may have gone for the sensational without assessing the true value and meaning of the story. But, if he's believing his sources, they built this up to be more than what it really was. And he bought it hook. line and sinker.

Since Favre at no time could have been sanctioned by the league for his actions, the value of this story hinges more on the motive for revenge. Glazer was counting on Favre fanatics to burn their beloved number four jersies, thinking he'd broken the biggest story in this ever entangled drama of future hall of famer disenfranchised by beloved team. Glazer needs to take stock in his approach to this story and how he can make amends and further prove what he attests as true. I think backpedalling will be his only option.

He counted too much on people finger waggling Favre for what he did, which is only slightly admonishable. It should not have been blow up to the magnitude that it was, because, as they say, this kind of stuff goes on all the time. But, when it's Favre they're trying to put on the hot seat, better get your ducks in a row, or your sunk.

Okay, I'm done babbling. I'm sure I won't come back to this and edit. I just wanted to hash out all my thoughts and details on this to see if it still makes any sense. And I'm satisfied now that there can be some logic for what transpired here, as I wonder if it will die or find another life.



© Copyright 2008 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/614465-Glazer-Get-Set-Up