*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621347-Packers-Trade-Away-Super-Bowl-for-a-good-draft-pick
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#621347 added November 30, 2008 at 4:11pm
Restrictions: None
Packers Trade Away Super Bowl for a good draft pick?
I don't know how anyone would interpret this as a positive story for the Packers, but here goes...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/30/favres-good-season-helps-packers/

Okay, think about it. Use those analytical football brains you inherited from years of beat writing and covering professional football and explain to me how the Packers get a big win if Favre does well with the Jets this year. It drives home the point to me, while the Packers are just managing to keep their head out of the water, that they gave away a pretty good chance to make it to the Super Bowl this year.

A first round draft pick for Favre if the Jets make the Super Bowl? That's a win? That's supposed to be the Packers goal, especially one season removed and one playoff loss shy from getting there by losing to eventual NFL title holders in the New York Giants.

It seems to me the media is getting caught up in the numbers game, watching the Jets' performance with Favre at the helm escalate as it drives the value of that traded pick. But, any way you look at it, the Packers lose. And not just by missing out on a Super Bowl, but depriving Packers fans of a chance to see the kind of run they should be enjoying this year.

In my mind, there's no doubt the team would be performing better at this point with Favre in the mix. That's not a knock against Rodgers. He's a great quarterback. He just doesn't give his team that extra bit of oomph you get with number four. Teams prepare for him different. They don't give Rodgers the same kind of respect. They're willing to let him beat them with his arm while they stuff the Packers run game. Favre made defenses play straight up, be honest, not cheat.

Where's the enthusiasm number four brought? That fire? Rodgers isn't as emotional on the field, and if he gets upset, it's at himself. Does he really hold other players accountable at this point? Favre would...he'd get more out of the people around him like the situation right now in New York.

A first round pick is as likely to be a bust as any other first round choice many teams have gambled and lost with. And a pick like that doesn't guarantee a Super Bowl, at least not now, and maybe never. The Packers threw away one last shot at glory for the compensation they get from the Jets, who will happily hand over this pick like it's Monopoly money. It won't mean a thing to give away that draft position, if they make it to the big dance.

Ted Thompson should be applauded for rebuilding his team for the future. Yeah, way to go Mr. GM. Way to keep the eyes on the prize. Nope, he doesn't care about winning now. He sold short when he jettisoned Favre from Green Bay. He threw away the franchise's chances this season without swallowing his pride and assessing the true value of what he had in a proven veteran.



By The Way...my comment on the Profootballtalk.com story...

The Packers likely traded away a Super Bowl bid for a number one draft pick. It holds true to Thompson's rebuilding plans, essentially throwing out the window any chance they had going into this season. The Packers are in the hunt, but not like they were last year. Thompson should just admit he wanted to be rid of Favre and didn't care if it would cost the team a title run this year, because that is the way this will play out. And if Favre makes it to the Super Bowl, you might as well flush that pick down the drain. Fans will say that was supposed to be our team. They don't care what kind of compensation comes. It looks bad for the Packers if Favre does well. The Packers need to outperform the Jets to justify Thompson's decision.

© Copyright 2008 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/621347-Packers-Trade-Away-Super-Bowl-for-a-good-draft-pick