*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628739
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#628739 added January 9, 2009 at 1:46pm
Restrictions: None
Find a Dang Target, Rix!
This is a plea for  me to myself and a reminder for me to act.  The saying I am using today is  "If you aim at nothing, then you are sure to hit it."

What I am trying to cure is the fact that I love to read about writing.  I love to read how to write the great American novel and all the cute contests in the magazines.  I love to teach others to write as best I can.  But, I CAN'T GET MYSELF TO SIT DOWN AND WRITE !

It is not because I am lazy.  I am your typical Type A individual but have slowed a bit with age, but not much.  It is not because I am afraid to write.  I love to write when I have something to say or an idea to expound upon.  It is not that I don't have the time, the paper, the pencils, the computer, or great websites to publish on as in WDC. It is not because I don't take aim some of the time.

It is because I don't have the ability to come up with a story plot or idea.  Poems are easy if I have a picture in my mind or on the table.  Micro fiction is fun when I can come up with an idea and ideas from this genre come a bit easier to me than a regular short fiction story.  Personal experiences are fun when I can remember them and remember what a great or funny story it was.  I have made travel journals/diaries of most of my travels and have used one of the jewels as a story.  I suspect there are more waiting to be told if I would OPEN the dang things and read!  So, today I wanted to revisit this bit of wisdom to remind myself to read my trip journals and see what I can come up with.

I had my students make story wheels where they could dial a character, a setting, and a theme.  Then, they were to start their story.  Maybe I should do this.  The point is, even if I want to say I am aiming, but I don't have a target, I'm in deep poo. Without targets we won't get anything or anywhere in life.  In case you missed the idea, a target is a just GOAL.  It is not a New Year's Resolution which is something I think I don't have to keep.  A goal/target is something I want to do, set my mind to do, and make a plan to carry it out.  Then, if I am not successful, I must review or analyze the plan I used and see why I missed the target.  Finally, I'll have to revamp or come up with a new plan and then EXECUTE it.  Once a writer has an idea, the rest is the fun.  Or, at least to me it is.

Note to Rixfarmgirl:  Travel Journals, Target, Plan, Aim, Shoot, Review, and Keep on Keeping on with the PRODUCTIVE end of writing putting the actual pencil to the paper,so to speak!  Your assignment whether you want it or not is to read one travel journal and come up with three story ideas.  Read the contest lists and enter two contests with NEW writings.

Love, Rixfarmgirl


© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628739