*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634572-Something-to-Consider
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#634572 added August 5, 2010 at 1:18pm
Restrictions: None
Something to Consider
While administering the SAT test in a colleague's room, I happened to notice a poster in her room that caught my attention:

BUILD A SOLID FOUNDATION

CARING
RESPECT 
FAIRNESS
CITIZENSHIP
RESPONSIBILITY
TRUSTWORTHINESS


Here are my thoughts on this idea and I would enjoy very much hearing your comments about it as well.  In no particular order:

1.  Where's LOVE?  I can't believe they left out LOVE.  Yes, I can.  On reflection I am reminded how many times we use the word LOVE.  I love peanut butter.  Don't you just LOVE my new dress?  I LOVE John.....(next week)  I LOVE Harry...(next week)  Josh is the LOVE of my life.  Yeah, for about 7 days.

My point being, we have overused the word LOVE and it no longer means anything to a vast majority of people, especially the generation of students now in the public schools.  In case you didn't know this, 80% of students grades 7-12 are sexually active and for the girls it is all about LOVE.  If I do this, I will be loved.  Bomp!

The key word at the Top of the Solid Foundation is CARING.  Think about it.  I believe that the statement, "I CARE so much about you."  carries much more weight than if the word LOVE had been used.  Think about it.

2.  If parents today would teach their students the above pyramid, their teenagers would be well prepared for the rolls they must play in the adult world.

3.  How many families do you know that don't bother to teach their children these concepts?  Isn't it the JOB of a parent to TEACH and lead their children to better lives by instilling the above truths within their hearts and souls?

4.  I have many, many students that are living with grandparents, aunts, older siblings, in foster homes, or own their own.  Why do people that make unfit parents have children?  Why isn't there a test that God gives before He allows women to be impregnated?

5.  Now, let's consider the parents who are teaching their students nothing about citizenship, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, or respect.  Forget the caring aspect, for a second.  I would guess that two-thirds of my parents are making excuses for their students, lying for them, letting them stay home for no good reason, and coming to school to "get even" and "raise Holy Hell"  with some teacher who must not only try to teach their student academics, but family and personal values as well. 

6.  Guess what?  The majority of students who survive school and move on to become responsibility adults come from the "old fashioned home" of caring parents who make the kids accountable.  From old fashioned homes where parents make sure the kids are where they are supposed to be, where family is a concept learned from watching the examples their parents set.  I can't remember how many times I told my kids, " No matter what you do, I'm going to love you, but you WILL pay whatever penalty is the result of your actions.  I will hold your hand throughout the ordeal, but in life penalties must be paid.  It is how we grown and learn."

© Copyright 2010 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634572-Something-to-Consider