*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634706-The-Little-Train-Who-Thought-He-Could
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#634706 added August 6, 2011 at 6:43pm
Restrictions: None
The Little Train Who Thought He Could
The title of this entry was a story read over and over to me as a child by parents, grandparents, and aunts.  It was a thrilling story for a child and it taught a wonderful lesson.  I taught that we must try over and over and over again to succeed.  We never, I believe, appreciate those things which come to us easily.

My mother taught me a lesson that has allowed me to accomplish or just experience many wonderful things in my life.  She taught me by example saying, "I can do that."  When we would see a beautiful dress in an expensive store, she'd say, "I can do that".  She would go home, and, by golly, she did it!  She may not have totally duplicated the dress, but she captured the essence and added her own spin.

So, in my life, I have tried many things.  Some things I excelled at, some I failed miserably at the first ten or so times. But, I never completely failed unless I quit trying. This has allowed me many opportunities in life I would never have had if it weren't for my family.

I have wateched friends, students, and strangers refuse to tackle a job because they didn't think they could do it.  I believe that is why many students fail.  If they fail by not trying, they do not have to face true failure by attempting something and not getting it 100% right.  A friend here on wdc reminded me of the students in her classes at college who say, " I don't get it.  That's stupid."  Well, that attitude certainly ends any discussion or success.

If my goal is to fill a bucket with water so I could survive a crisis and have drinking water, and I  was able to only get half a bucket, should I just throw out the half bucket of water and give up and die?  That's a DUH question, but many people do this time and time again about other less life threatening events.

Our minds are powerful machines.  We think we make decisions, but as any writer knows, our minds can take over and take us where we had not consciously considered.  So, in closing I leave you with a saying that I do not know the origin of.  I know it's not mine.  I know it speaks volumes and volumes in just nine words.

*Balloon2*        WHOEVER THINKS HE CAN OR CAN'T IS USUALLY RIGHT!        *Balloon4*
*Flower1*  *Flower2*  *Flower3*  *Flower4*  *Flower5*  *Flower4*  *Flower3*  *Flower2*  *Flower1* 

© Copyright 2011 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634706-The-Little-Train-Who-Thought-He-Could