*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634990-up-a-lazy-river
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#634990 added February 9, 2009 at 10:58pm
Restrictions: None
up a lazy river
I've just found my new favorite pastime: floating around a "lazy river."

We went to Kellogg, ID, on Friday and stayed at the Silver Mountain resort. It had another name too, the Morning Star, I'm not sure why. We got there just in time to ride the family size tube down the Moose Sluice in the giant indoor waterpark, then take a few turns on the lazy river. It closed at 8, and we were late getting there for no particular reason. Guess we just weren't in a hurry after we found out the kids from Spokane weren't planning to be there until Saturday.

Saturday morning Bill got into his ski gear. Did a test fit in the bedroom because he hadn't been in those duds for fifteen years at least. The boots, the old fashioned kind that look like they're out of Star Wars, were pretty hard to clamp closed, but we made it. The skis, borrowed from a friend who owns a ski shop and who used to be on ski patrol with Bill back in the olden days, were much shorter and wider than he'd ever used before and had spoonbill ends.

The man standing behind us in the lift line commented that his skis were still awfully long, and that the boots looked like they were missing all their buckles and might not keep his ankles rigid enough with those skis. Great help that was! I'm sure Bill was nervous enough about performing well, especially since I'd only heard the stories of his skiing adventures and never seen him actually do it. He wisely started with the beginners slopes, then accidentally got onto a black diamond one but still did okay. He said it was riding a bicycle, you never forget. It looks like such fun, but so very complicated. I'd never even master the chair lift, I'm afraid, or the platter pull I remember my kids using when they were learning on the bunny hill.

I took the tram up with him to see the sights and take some pictures, then went back down to meet the kids in the waterpark. Bill joined us about three hours later, not only still walking but climbed three flights of stairs to take Jack on another tube ride. It was a lot of fun. The water temperature was 82 and the air 84, a perfect atmosphere. We all watched the folks try the wave rider, which the twins tackled on boogie boards and did well. Only the braver souls tried surfing it, and they were a riot. Some were very good at it. Bill told everybody that there's one of those on the back of cruise ships, but that if you wash out, you go overboard. I don't think anybody fell for the last part. I'm a little surprised he didn't try it himself, but maybe he figured skiing was enough of an accomplishment for one weekend and he shouldn't press his luck. Probably wise.


© Copyright 2009 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634990-up-a-lazy-river