*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/636257-so-many-little-things
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#636257 added February 17, 2009 at 1:27am
Restrictions: None
so many little things
I'll squeeze in the time to tell you about all some of the things that are percolating in my mind tonight.

My grandson Jack has been here for the weekend, his first trip here without his twin, Sophie. She was having a sleepover, and he wanted to escape it! Fortunately for me, he asked if he could come here for this long weekend! His dad brought him down on Saturday and spent the night with us too. We had a nice time together, really enjoying each other's company in a way we don't usually get to because the rest of the family is usually here too.

Bill was happy to show George his wonderful new hi-def TV with surround sound, and they watched the movie Cars, which George hadn't seen, while Jack and I played Monopoly. Our game continued through Sunday night, with lots of math skills and "how to spend your money wisely" lessons taught. (I hope Jack had a good time anyway. :>) I know I did. We sure laughed a lot.)

Jack went to church with us on Sunday, also a first. I didn't hear how his Sunday School class went, except that he was the only boy, and his friend Adrian (from Vacation Bible School, Jack's only church experience) didn't come until church had started. Jack sat with another family instead, and the dad of that family is a Scout leader. I could see, from where I sat up front, that Stan was showing Jack where to turn in the prayer book and the hymnal, etc.)

When the children came up front for the children's homily, Jack sat very quiet and attentive, even tho, by then, his friend Adrian and Adrian's sister had arrived and were giggling near him. I was proud that he was quiet and appeared to be listening. The priest, Fr. Birch, was talking about, of all things, leprosy, because it appeared in two of the Sunday lessons, Old and New Testament. Kids, who are always interested in icky things, seemed to be paying attention. Birch, who had witnessed and hugged people with leprosy in Haiti, was obviously moved by the subject. That was not entirely lost on the children. I'll be interested to hear what Jack remembers from that, if anything.

Today we took Jack home, or at least most of the way. I was on call for the weekend, and we got a late start. Bill wanted to get a haircut-- badly needed-- and an oil change; so Jack and I took Lola to the dog park, also badly needed. Then we picked up some lunch and met Bill in town, transferred to his car, the hybrid, and drove to within twenty miles of Spokane. Lenore met us there, and we had a snack together at a little restaurant before taking off.

That wasn't quite the way Bill had planned the day, but he never mentioned that. He is such a sweetie! He had hoped to go to the airport and help get the plane ready for its annual inspection. Instead, he drove us nearly to Spokane and back because he didn't want me to make the return trip alone. (I halfway dozed all the way home, so that was really a good call on his part.)

It's past time for me to go to bed now, but Bill wanted me to watch a video with him called "Born Again American." It really did have an impact on me. I don't know what it will do to help the cause, but it's heading the right direction. We, in this country, need to be reminded we're in this together, and to be willing to help each other. It's definitely 'country', but it's much more than that too. I hope you'll take the time to check it out.

http://www.bornagainamerican.org/index.html

© Copyright 2009 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/636257-so-many-little-things