*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643841-Rode-the-Vulcan-today
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1302157
My blogging here
#643841 added April 4, 2009 at 11:52pm
Restrictions: None
Rode the Vulcan today
Spring was out in all her glory today. It was already 50 degrees here this morning. The sun was shining and there was barely a cloud in the sky. A perfect day for riding the motorcycle. It didn't take us long to get into our gear and head out on the Vulcan to Anacortes for lunch/dinner at the Rockfish Grill. The ride was the first for me in many long months, and I was ready for it.

We weren't the only bikers out riding today either. The gorgeous day brought them out of hiding and waves were plentiful along our ride. Anacortes is one of my very favorite places to ride to. It is homeport to the San Juan Islands here in the Pacific Northwest located on Fidalgo Island. There is a bridge that connects the Island to the rest of Skagit County. It is surrounded by the north Puget Sound and San Juan Islands on three sides, and by the Swinomish Channel and the flat land of Skagit Valley to the east. The weather is milder than other areas of the Pacific Northwest, because it lies within the Olympic Mountain rain shadow. Fidalgo Island gets 21" of rain per year, only half as much as Seattle.

Anacortes was home to actor/singer Burl Ives - (Cat On A Hot Tin Roof/A Little Bitty Tear). He lived along the water near the San Juan Ferry Landing.

For a long time I would let my eyes scan the homes along the waterfront there, trying to picture which one might have been his. I have yet to know for sure. I remember reading an article about him some years back. It stated that he and his wife and children lived in a big log home above the water. So I would look for log homes, however, from a picture I have seen of him and his wife standing in front of what appears to be a white stuco home...I finally gave up on looking.

Burl Ives died on April 14, 1995 (at age 85) in Anacortes, Washington.

Gosh, I guess I got lost in Anacortes...there.

On our ride home we drove out past fields and fields of daffodils blooming around La Conner. Didn't see any tulips yet though, just daffodils.

Oh, and when we got home from our long ride it was still a warm 70 degrees outside!*Bigsmile*



** Image ID #1546233 Unavailable **



© Copyright 2009 ShiShad (UN: shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ShiShad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643841-Rode-the-Vulcan-today