*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644452-Casketball--GAME-8
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #1535033
This is a collection of my experiences playing basketball
#644452 added April 8, 2009 at 7:48pm
Restrictions: None
Casketball GAME 8
CASKETBALL
Game 8

It was a different ball game on the basketball court last night than it’s ever been before. But then, who’s surprised? No two games are ever alike. It was particularly disappointing last night, though, because the strategies I had worked out for myself last week didn’t work last night. Mainly because the team we played was barbaric and our main team players were not there.

Instead of staying near the basket when it was our turn to shoot, so my fellow team mates had someone to throw the ball to when they got in hot water and couldn’t make the shot for themselves, I had to stay mid-way down the court to be available to anyone who may need me. That way we could dribble when we had an opening, or toss the ball back and forth if we didn’t. Unfortunately, I didn’t work that out until the game was nearly over, but when I did that, I was more of a help than I was before.

I had to play a very aggressive defence, which means I was constantly in the opponent’s faces, tripping them up at every chance I had. Even Norm commented on how it was nice to see me playing so aggressively. I came away from the game feeling as though I were, if not productive, than at least an important member of the team, and not just a bystander. Although it will take a long time to develop and hone some valuable skills, I am, very proudfully able to say I’m gaining confidence with every game.

I was able to thwart some plays that might have otherwise been a score for our opponents. These were the opportunities I dwelled on last night before I figured out the strategy I mentioned previously. They paid off more than once, so at least I had found something I could do that made me valuable in some way to my team.

Hot, sweaty, and tired, we all left the court after the gratuitous hand-shaking that’s required had been executed and every last “Nice game” was mumbled to the opposing players in turn. You would have thought I would have gone home and crashed, but surprisingly, I didn’t get to bed until nearly midnight.

© Copyright 2009 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/644452-Casketball--GAME-8