*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661246-The-Saga-Ends-Here
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#661246 added July 28, 2009 at 9:17pm
Restrictions: None
The Saga Ends Here
Through much media speculation and cajoling from the Vikings, Brett Favre has finally decided to call it a career. And already people are shrugging their collective shoulders and saying, 'yeah, sure.' But the writing has been on the wall for this one, even before he had the shoulder surgery. Many thought he wanted two more shots at the Packers this season, but ultimately, it was about his desire and continued ability to play. And it's not just about the repaired throwing arm he's been working out, but the knees and ankles along with all injuries that now nag the ironman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4362093

You can say what you want about the waffling, but he truly gave it a try. He went through all of his progressions to make sure that this time he was making the right decision. His body may feel better later. He may get that urge when the season nears or as it progresses. But it was all right there for him in Minnesota and he knew he couldn't make a go of it and they know they have to move on without him. That window closes.

So for all the scrutiny and doubting about his intentions, you have to consider that Favre was honest about his intentions all along. He never said he was coming back, denied reports to the contrary, whlie trying to get himself back into shape to see if he could make another run. I don't think it was his intention to join the Vikings when he retired from the Jets back in February. I think they came calling and then he decided to have the surgery and see where to go from there. He would have had that surgery much sooner if he really intended a comeback. I doubted he even wanted the surgery when he tried to work out his arm to see if the tendon would release naturally. When it did not, he explored the next option. By that time, he was committed to seeing if he at least could get in shape before training camp, but could not make that commitment.

It wasn't about him holding anyone at hostage. Negotiating a contract before signing on the line is just good business sense. If his body was going to be able, you don't want all the loose ends or  those kinds of distractions before getting into camp. Everything was squared away and he gave it his best effort, but he realizes now that he can't be the player he wants to be in his current condition.

Again, his body could repair and the desire may return. But this is effectively it, because there are no other teams interested in him. At least not now or this season. Things change. Favre could change. But the opinionated have to accept that he considered his options, did everything the Vikings expected of him, but he knew he would let that team down, especially late in the season when the body and mind started to wear down.

If the Packers had let him stay that additional season, it never would have played out like this. He might have stayed healthy and actually had a championship run and a visit to the Super Bowl. The organization traded that all in and made him walk away to start over with the Jets. He performed admirably under those conditions and if it were not for the tendon tear, who knows what legacy he could have left behind in New York. Instead, many want to ignore the injury and just say he was stinking it up. Ignore than he was learning a new offense and flying by the seat of his pants. He was on top of the mountain gain by week four with that six TD performance against eventual Super Bowl contenders, the Arizona Cardinals. But it wasn't meant to be.

He still had something to prove in his final years, but was shunned by the organization he helped return to glory. He now has to endure those who would say he tarnished his reputation as a prima donna. He earned his right. He didn't do anything different than any other quarterback that wanted the best for his franchise. I think that the Packers brass spread those seeds about his character to place doubt in the minds of many, because their agenda was to run him out of town.

Yeah, he'd talk about retirement every year. But what went on behind the scenes that was draining his desire to play year in and year out? It all started with GM Ted Thompson and the notion that Favre had to be out of the picture. I think Brett knew Thompson was not in his corner, especially after drafting his replacement in Aarons Rodgers in 2005.

This will all pass. Favre will mend fences with the Packers organization. I don't believe he will ever suit up for the NFL again. He may stay out of the limelight for a bit. He'll still have those commercials airing and maybe a few more talk show appearances. But as far as a permanent gig, he'll take it easy for awhile to readjust to his life as a former NFL star.

Here's to you, Brett!

© Copyright 2009 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661246-The-Saga-Ends-Here