*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/672748-Favre-Faces-Toughest-Task
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#672748 added October 21, 2009 at 9:20pm
Restrictions: None
Favre Faces Toughest Task
Favre vs. the Steel Curtain should make for great television. Too bad the game won't be telecast in Green Bay. I'll have to find a bar that's showing the game, because I want to see this one live.

What we have here is Favre's toughest challenge to date. He proved he could beat the Ravens last Sunday. But I don't think they are the toughest matchup, but a good tune-up for Pittsburgh.

Favre's offensive line will have to keep him upright and protected and they have been doing that well of late. That doesn't mean some team with a great defensive line like the Steelers won't find a weakness to exploit. I don't think they'll rattle Favre as much as they would like and will get no more than one INT.

What I expect is a defense that will continue to make the future hall of famer prove he can win with his arm. Adrian Peterson will be the focal point of a defense that is one of the best against the running game. The Steelers have their x-factor back in the line-up with Troy Palumalu. He may still be a bit dinged up and that may make things a tad easier for number four.

What's going to be more interesting to watch is Minnesota's defense. They have to prove what happened against Baltimore will not repeat itself against a pass-happy offense led by Ben Rothlesburger. The Steelers have been spotty in the running game and Rashaard Mendenhall will be out to prove he's worthy of being the starting back.

If the Vikings can keep the Steelers off the field for more than half the game, they should be able to win this game. But, this is a road game against a very tough team. I know Favre will be up to the challenge. I envision him being in a two-game stretch just like last year when he led the Jets to victories over the Titans and Patriots. Baltimore was his Titans win this year. I expect him to pull off a dazzling performance against the Steelers who are his Pats of '09.

What happens after this weekend's game is anyone's guess. Favre does not likely want a repeat of last year. He is out to prove he can sustain himself through a full year plus the playoffs. He's not likely to have arm issues again. Many are expecting the wheels to come off. But, coach Brad Childress has addressed the fatigue factor by putting the veteran on a pitch count of sorts, limiting his play in practice and having Tavaris Jackson back him up in games they are leading.

With that, I expect a three game stretch of greatness punctuated with a big win over the Packers at Lambeau. He won't rest until he and the Vikings have a strangle hold over first place in their division. I wouldn't be surprised if he sat out the last game or two of the year. That will be something big to watch, if he can put his team in a position to rest him for the playoffs.

So, this game against the Steelers is huge: 7-0 with a chance to go up three games in their division after the midway point in the season will be pivotal in the old man's last push for another Super Bowl.

If I had to guess on a score, it might depend on the weather. Pittsburgh has had some issues with the turf in recent years. But, I expect a game that will reach the high 20s. Vikings 27 Pittsburgh 24.


© Copyright 2009 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/672748-Favre-Faces-Toughest-Task