*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/679220-Chapter-20
Rated: 18+ · Book · Military · #1625172
This is the book version of my Army of Humans and Monsters
#679220 added February 10, 2012 at 9:54pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 20
Meanwhile, as the Colonel was giving the recruits the rundown on how the base was run, and what the recruits would be doing, Bloodtooth stood by the barracks, watching Jenkins.

“The boy has potential,” said one of the other officers.

“I know,” Bloodtooth said. “Anyone who could take on a trained soldier, even one turned traitor, and survive, has the potential to do a lot of things.”

“Are you saying that because of what your head is telling you about his capabilities, or is it because you owe his great-grandfather for saving your own great-grandfather’s life, so that you would be born, or is it, your heart?” (Other officer)

“I have no Idea about what you are talking about,” Bloodtooth said, looking forward.

“Oh yes you do. ‘Listen Jenkins, I can’t do this with just you too often. After all, if we have to go into combat, and I had developed feelings for you, I might be unable to issue an order that could get you killed.’ Remember?” (Other officer)

“You were in my room?” Bloodtooth said, angrily, as she looked at the other officer, a color-changing Chameleon-like creature, who could blend into the background, especially when he was out of uniform.

“Hey, it’s my room to,” the man said, his face blending into the red and black speckled bricks of the barracks.

About the only things to not vanish were his cap, shirt, and pants.

“But, I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as you don’t tell anyone that I was out of uniform, and walking around naked, I won’t tell anyone about you and your, private, matters,” the man said.

“Well in that case, Lieutenant Changehide, you had better keep your mouth shut, or else I will get some red and white paint and paint a target on the back of your head. That way, when the snipers are looking for you, during their training, they will be able to find you in two seconds.” (Bloodtooth)

“Oh come on Bloodtooth. That isn’t fair.” (Changehide)

“No, what’s not fair is shaving my fur off before the graduation ceremony last year, especially since it was snowing then.” (Bloodtooth)

“Oh come on, that was a prank. And you have to admit, it was funny.” (Changehide)

“God, why do I put up with you Changehide?” (Bloodtooth)

“Because we swore an oath,” Changehide said, his voice becoming serious, and he became visible. “You, me, and the rest of the others, swore that we would find the traitor who murdered The Uniter’s family, and kill him.”

“Yes, and we also swore to find the survivors as well,” Bloodtooth said, a slight growl in her voice. “Jenkins is one, his cousin, a Tabitha Jensen, might be another.”

With that, Bloodtooth handed Changehide a file.

“How did you get this?” he asked, as he opened it up.

“Simple, the moment that Jenkins joined up, anything referring to him became of military interest, to see if he had any ties to terrorists, if you know what I mean,” Bloodtooth said, as she looked at the commander.

“Well, what about his cousin?” Changehide asked. “Are there any leads?”

“Not for the last five years,” Bloodtooth said. “With Jenkins, we got very lucky. The moment that he walked into town, the tax collectors were after him. In fact, he had just finished signing his name on the dotted line, when they broke in, looking for him. Thankfully, the officers there were able to persuade them to leave, especially since he had just joined the military.”

“Well, how were the officers able to get him to sign?” (Changehide)

“They told him that the military would pay off any debts that he had, or some such thing. In fact, the lookout saw him running, and told him to come in if he wanted to lose his pursuers. The guy held them back long enough for Jenkins to answer all one hundred questions in that packet, which every perspective recruit must do before they even sign their name.”

“How long did that take?” (Changehide)

“Not even ten minutes,” Bloodtooth chuckled. “The lookout was a sphinx, and you know how they like to tell riddles.”

“So, in order to get past him, they had to figure out his riddle. Which one was it?” (Changehide)

“It was the ‘What is the meaning of life?’ one,” Bloodtooth said, with a grin.

At this, Changehide started to chuckle.

“There is no answer to that one,” he said.

“True, but that is why they had to wait until Jenkins was signing his name, before the guard said, ‘Fine, I’ll let you in. Just don’t expect me to do it again.’” Bloodtooth said, as she gave Changehide a hearty slap on the back.

Just then, a harpy landed next to the two of them.

“Lieutenant Sir!” he said, looking at Bloodtooth, as he saluted the two officers. “I have some important information, in regards to Private Recruit Jenkins, as well as you sir.”

“And what would that be Sergeant?” Bloodtooth asked.

“I think that there is someone at the gate that you might want to see,” the sergeant said. “It is a police officer that you and Wolfblood talked to the other day.”

“Let me guess, male, kitsune, between the ages of twenty-five and thirty.” (Bloodtooth)

“That’s right. He says that he wants to ask you out on a date. Well, I would have told him to go and steal eggs from a chicken coop, but there was something about him that you should know.” (Harpy sergeant)

“What would that be?” (Bloodtooth)

“There was a scent on him, similar to that of Jenkins. Now, I know that Jenkins may not have any family members that are kitsunes, but he does have that missing female human cousin, Tabitha Jensen.” (H. Sergeant)

“What are you saying? That he has her?” (Bloodtooth)

“That would be my guess madam.” (H. Sergeant)

“All right, take me to him. Changehide, go to Wolfblood and tell him to watch Jenkins. Tell him that something important came up.” (Bloodtooth)

“Well what if he asks where you are?” (Changehide)

“Tell him it involves pet patrol. He’ll get the message.” (Bloodtooth)

With that, Bloodtooth started following the harpy sentry to the front gate.

As Bloodtooth walked out of the barracks, she saw the kitsune sitting on the trunk of his patrol car, which seemed to sound as if someone was kicking it, from the inside.

“What’s in the trunk?” she asked, knowing the answer already.

“Oh, just some female human,” he said.

“Sounds like she’s a fighter,” Bloodtooth said. “I like those who try to put up a fight.”

“Same here,” the man said, with a grin. “Do you want to take a look?”

“Sure, I prefer to see their eyes turn to fear when they see what their fate will be,” Bloodtooth said, as she walked up to him.

The officer smiled, as he pulled out a set of keys, and popped the trunk.

While he was doing that, Bloodtooth checked to see if her Desert Eagle was in its holster, as well as her Colt revolver.

At the sight of them, the kitsune gave a whistle.

“Impressive revolver,” he said.

“I know,” Bloodtooth said, watching as the man opened the trunk, to reveal a woman, who had a distinct resemblance to Jenkins, tied up, gagged, and doing everything that she could to try to escape. “I got this revolver from my one comrade before he died after a firefight, a Private William Henry Jenkins. In fact, before he passed on, I made a promise to him, that I would find his cousin, a Tabitha Jensen, and give it to her.”

“Those sound like human names,” the kitsune said, not noticing the look in the eyes of the woman, who was trying to get free, and fighting him, when she heard the two names.

“I know how the names are human sounding names,” Bloodtooth said, as she knocked out the woman, Tabitha, so that she wouldn’t reveal herself. “However, I am still in debt to him, and his family, just like my great-grandfather was to his, and I am also indebted to that man.”

“What do you mean?” the kitsune asked, as the two of them put the woman back into the trunk.

“Well, if Jenkins’s grandfather hadn’t given his life to save mine, I would not have been born. As for Jenkins, he saved my niece a while back. Now obviously, that means that my family is in debt to his, and I don’t like to owe the dead.” (Bloodtooth)
© Copyright 2012 BIG BAD WOLF is hopping (UN: alockwood1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BIG BAD WOLF is hopping has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/679220-Chapter-20