*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686893-Writers-write-right
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#686893 added February 8, 2010 at 10:29pm
Restrictions: None
Writers write, right?

I was listening to a screenwriting podcast yesterday, and came across an interesting conversation about cliches in the writing business. Up at the top of the list was the maxim, "Writers write," and they were talking about how there are a lot of people out there who consider themselves writers, but ultimately don't spend as much time writing as they do thinking about writing, wanting to write, or procrastinating when they should be writing. The comment that was made, as much as it may seem obvious, was that "you can't call yourself a writer if you don't write."

It was one of those moments where it really hit me. Lately, I haven't been doing much writing... I've been reading, reviewing, thinking about writing, wanting to write... but not actually doing any writing. I guess that technically means I'm not a writer. I've written before, but I'm not a writer. Right? I mean, technically, that's what they're saying. I haven't been writing anything, so I must not be a writer.

Of course, the thing is, I want to be a writer. It's been a passion of mine for years, and the idea of supporting myself and my family with an income from doing what I love is the ultimate dream. So was I discouraged and wondering what the heck I'm doing with my time? Hardly. Well, maybe a little. But more than anything, it really lit a fire under me. I am a writer, and I'm going to prove it - even if it's only to myself - every day if need be.

And you know what? In the past 24 hours, for the first time in months, I wrote 5 pages of a script I've been working on, and started a short story for a WDC contest.

How about that? I guess all I needed was a swift kick in the pants. *Wink*

© Copyright 2010 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/686893-Writers-write-right