*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688733-Letter-from-Saltese
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#688733 added February 26, 2010 at 3:23pm
Restrictions: None
Letter from Saltese
*Note3* Letter from Saltese

Dear...,

We are west of Saint Regis, deep in the canyon, climbing this pass past dry hills of pine. And what will we see on the steep other side? Idaho. A hurting green clings to the close canyon walls, this gash in the mountains. And there far below: winter hides in dark shadows where the sun doesn't reach...

Oh, to touch you, reach out and touch you! Beseech you to come out from your cave. I'd behave... at least try to.

Cold sky soars blue, unpolluted and we climb into its blueness ready to fly free as the panel beneath our bus flaps unsecured. We stop in Saltese: wide spot on the side of the road, empty, a small dot with its Montana casino and the Mangold Motel. We suck in our breath as the driver checks underneath; we hold it.

As I'd hold onto you.

Five miles to go. Under pine, dappled snow, signs of snow machines where once railroad tracks ran, where before only tracks of lion and deer marred its surface. We dare not look back, the way opens before our eyes as we arrive at Lookout Pass. And below us our prize: Idaho.

And my prize? Left further and further behind me.

Your friend forever, Kåre.

2010 February 19 [166.359]

Written on the road. Pic of Saltese at FB. Still working on it. Kate Kronen nailed it at Writing Group last night. She's very insightful. *Heart*

*Note3* Montana 46 sunny degrees today in Miss. A. Lou. Maybe precipitation this weekend? One can hope... but I'll enjoy the sunshine today!
59,591


© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688733-Letter-from-Saltese