*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/689166-Goodbye-wifes-and-daughters
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#689166 added March 2, 2010 at 11:10pm
Restrictions: None
Goodbye wifes and daughters...
I went to a book reading, discussion, signing for Goodbye Wifes and Daughters, Susan Resnick's book about the 1943 Smith Coal Mine disaster of 1943 in Bearcreek, Montana. There were family members of the 74 who died present. One guy was there as a child.

I asked whether there still was a bruise on the land... guess so. The town never recovered as women with no source of support were forced to move away.

Susan is from New England and therefore came to the story as an outsider which perhaps was a great advantage. Although it was a major disaster in Montana history it is not well-known. It was Wartime and the focus was elsewhere.

It's like does anyone know who died on the day JFK was assassinated? Lots of folks... forgotten folks... IMHO. And Katrina... are disasters any less painful today? Montana Coal & Iron knew about the violations and did little to correct them. Like putting down rock-dust to cover the coal-dust. Like using battery powered helmet lights. It was one of those flames and methane gas that set off the explosion they decided. At least the mice knew and fled...

So good evening at Fact&Fiction.

Plus Susan asked whether I was a professor! *Laugh* Oh... does that put a smile on my face!

Cooler and cloudier day... and I didn't do any climbing.
59,664

© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/689166-Goodbye-wifes-and-daughters