*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/689338-Tough-Old-Boot
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#689338 added March 4, 2010 at 12:55pm
Restrictions: None
Tough Old Boot
It has been yet another very stressful week and I'm feeling very fragile and not particularly positive, so will restrict my entry to basics.

Sunday we were told Dad was not strong enough to face an operation, Monday it still seemed unlikely, but by Tuesday a decision had to be made. The consultant called to inform us that all things considered the risk of an operation had to be taken as otherwise there was no way to relieve pain. Obviously considering Dad's age and frail condition the concern over his recovery was very high.

The operation took place on Tuesday afternoon and I can't describe all the feelings, thoughts and scenarios that occupied my thoughts. Nothing is straightforward when considering the future for someone of his great age. He survived it and was quite lucid the following day. But, it's going to be a long, hard road before we can breathe easily or consider what happens next.

I've visited today but didn't stay long as he's obviously exhausted, needing rest and the expert care of hospital staff. He looks like he's gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson and very, very frail. The nurses asked if I could persuade him to take in some fluid as he's not eating or drinking too well. It's all very upsetting.

But he did complain he'd be happier sipping lager than orange juice, so there's still a glimmer of his old self in there. No doubt I'll be taking in his fair share of the lager as we face another evening of anxiety, but as I always advise others, there's nothing we can do but try to take one day at a time. Thanks for all your prayers and concern.

© Copyright 2010 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/689338-Tough-Old-Boot