*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/690652
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#690652 added March 18, 2010 at 8:56pm
Restrictions: None
On a clear day you can see Sarah
On a clear day you can see Sarah
2010, March 18

Sarah Palin will be coming to Missoula, Montana in September to raise funds for a non-profit organization, Teen Challenge Montana:

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_4c8f113c-2bc0-11df-b00b-001cc4c002e...

(Hint: skip the comments; they are as mean and meaningless as always...)

Now...

On a clear day you can see Sarah

On a clear day you can see Sarah
seated on an ice flow, tanning a moose hide,
waving to White-Russians.

Content, she holds hands with her husband
surrounded by her pack of hungry cubs.
A freezer full of moose should do.

She’s the Go-To-Woman of Wasilla,
the one that cheers her neighbors on to new heights
to defeat the Russian wolves, to fight …

those immigrants that aren’t quite like us.
On stage, she winks behind her podium
standing tall as a moose on high-heeled toes.

On a clear day you can see her sipping
at Tea Party gatherings, shahttp://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/690652/action/editring her cheerleader glow.
Her metaphors hang loose like moose lips.

She hunts moose poop to burn as incense,
incensed that politicians don’t give in,
like the oil barons she wrestled bare handed

that smelled worse than a moose in rut…
and fought fiercer than those waving Russians
who dance to her Alaskan hip-hop beat.

No one mentions her tentacled moose feet.

[166.370] 2010-03-10

Ouch.

Anyhoo... as a politician she can take someone mentioning her feet.



But... seriously...

Sarah Palin is an American through and through. She grew up in Idaho and has never lived in another country (except Alaska). She's as American as huckleberry ice-cream and grizzly bears.

And some days, I swear she doesn't have a clue...

But she is American in that sense too. She speaks for a segment of Americans who see their way of life being threatened and rightfully so.

America, 2110...

¿Habla Usted español?

Most of the United States... except Utah... and maybe Idaho or Vermont... will be of mixed race. Pure White folk will be a minority in any case and threatened outside of religious communities who don't accept mixing-of-the-blood.

Sarah's children are mixed, of course, but... ***wink, wink*** ...you-all know I mean folks-with-a-natural-tan (not out of a bottle).

And, Christianity is assailed from many sides. The Catholic Church is loosing its grip on the Papal State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (even as we speak and definitely next election...). Utah will maintain the Apostolic Seat of the Latter-Day-Saints if they learn better ways of control to keep new ideas out. (Doing a good job as is... even at BYU)

And technology will have shifted a generation or three towards more knowledge of folks not-quite-like themselves.

So... folks are fearful that their social traditions will no longer be the norm. But that is the way of the world. No one spoke English in 1500, not even the English (try reading it without a dictionary) and Christianity wasn't the norm in Utah before 1800. Nor was Idaho ethnic-white.

Will this traditional way-of-life persist? In museums... in isolated communities... and in every day life. Yep. It will persist by becoming part of the new mix. It will even be part of the fruit-and-nut mix; although, some will still want their Idaho potatoes, white, no spices nor butter puh-leeze...

So understand that Sarah is a spokesperson putting a face to people's justified (and unjustified) fears.

For those who support her... continue, be my guest... but help her check out some of her 'facts' first and don't make her look like a bozo by being one yourself...

For those who oppose her... instead of attacking her, answer the fears her supporters feed off of. If you can't then don't sound stupid, mean and vicious by opening your mouth; keep it shut! And don't organize a protest... ignore her.

Both sides need to realize that moose don't walk down Broadway in Missoula packing a pistol unless it's a cop in disguise shooting the homeless. And they don't even know what a moose is in New York City. The rural life Sarah responds to is alive and well in much of the U.S. but there are only 999,999 moose folks in Montana and 18,000,000 people in metro New York. Do your arithmetic.

In closing, the charity Teen Challenge Montana does need money... but, of course, we wouldn't want to raise taxes to support it...

Their website: http://www.teenchallengepnw.com/montana_womens/
45

© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/690652