*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705556-What-is-proper-proper-language-Where-and-when
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#705556 added September 7, 2010 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
What is proper proper language? Where and when?
What is proper proper language? Where and when?
2010 September 7

Shaziane Codrington has made me think once again about standard versus non-standard language.


Standard language is thought of as educated speech or writing. The type that English school teachers love. Dialects are regional patterns; most do not carry as much prestige. Social dialects are indicative of a social class and can be looked down upon at the same time as being seen as important for group identity.


For a writer (especially a poet), non-standard can be useful as it is closer to spoken speech and more colorful. Standard language is better for educated writing that seeks a larger cross-cultural or better-educated audience and technical language becomes indispensable in certain fields of study or work. Legalese is a prime example.


In academia non-standard patterns and words may be frowned upon. I once had a professor of linguistics from Germany who, in spite of being published and well-thought of in his field, was hesitent to give a talk in his native German in Germany because of a tendency there to judge someone by their speech; he had lived in the United States for too long to maintain proper academic German. Likewise a friend from Costa Rica who went to Germany to study realized that he would have to more German than German to be accepted socially (he was told that he was unacceptable because of his mixed heritage) and that included speaking flawless German. He learned. And became a sociologist. Lived in Germany 27 years before returning to his home village. In Costa Rica, he had difficulty communicating with the locals he grew up with because he did not speak the local creole. His Spanish is impeccable.


There is a price to pay for not speaking a language or not speaking it well enough or in the manner that is acceptable. For those who choose (or have no choice) speaking more than one dialect or language brings its own joys and pitfalls.


For some folks it is important to have different manners of speech with different people. I believe the technical term in linguistics is code-switching (don't quote me without verifying, it's been years...).In the inner city where I lived, the street corner (and woofing) would not have been acceptable in the amen corner (church). Same with folks that have to switch between dialects and/or languages. One loses a little to be able to switch, but to not switch is treacherous also. Only "royalty" gets to demand that everyone speak like them; the rest of us must negotiate to be properly understood.


What language to use then? The one that impresses people with your solidarity with them? The one that indicates you are properly educated? For me, I ignore some of the rules. But I'm not applying for a job, not trying to be accepted by high-society, not fitting in well with common folks regardless! For others however, this is a serious decision.

Peace, Kåre

09-07-2010. Note: I will look at this again to edit and add further examples or thoughts.
53

© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705556-What-is-proper-proper-language-Where-and-when