*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/691862-Counting-coins
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#691862 added March 31, 2010 at 3:24pm
Restrictions: None
Counting coins
Sometimes I count things. Not all the time as an obsession, rather out of curiosity. Take dollar coins for instance. Ever since 1979 when they were downsized and Susan B. Anthony was stamped on dull cupro-nickel coins they have fallen out of favor. Poor Susie. First, they didn’t exactly choose the most flattering mugshot and then they were too easily confused with quarters with the same dull color and ribbed rim. The obverse of the eagle landing on the moon with a branch of peace, the full earth shining above it was a very nice touch. But, folks just didn’t approve.

Then Sacajawea came to the rescue. A golden girl carrying her child. Minted to please with her smile. You’d follow her anywhere! Her rim was smooth and her color distinct. Her eagle soared like a thunder-bird. The public approved, but didn’t use her. Some didn’t like how the manganese clad copper tarnished either. Can’t have it all…

Then came the idea of putting states on the quarters… why not dead-white-presidents on the dollar! GW got first billing, of course (when doesn‘t he?) in 2007. They chose a three-quarter pose of a grumpy old man… I suppose that was okay, because John Adams looks plump like a French courtier. Ah well, the reverse was a statue of Ms. Liberty herself, torch ready to flame any illegals. If you can read “liberty” in her crown you have eagle eyes. So, no Liberty, no eagle and “IN GOD WE TRUST” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM” imprinted on the rim. That didn’t set well obviously, so “IN GOD WE TRUST” (note… always capitals) appears on the front in 2009. Which means all the other print is tiny and hard on the eyes. Who needs eyes?

By-the-way… another curiosity. If you look at the rim, some coins are heads, some are tails. Try it yourself. I do not lie.

In any case, out of 20 random coins given to me today: one Susan B. (1979) and one Sacajawea (2000). There were 7 James Monroes (4 heads, 2 tails) and 8 prez in all. Fillmore is the latest; too soon to show up in mixed rolls. In fact, rolls are $25, but the teller only had 20, so I gladly accepted those.

However, I haven’t seen any new Sacajawea dollars with the “Three Sisters” (2009) or the “Great Law of Peace” (2010) reverse. By-the-way anyone see the new 2010 shield-cent yet?

All my coins were minted in Denver. But they are minted in Philadelphia too. Only on older coins of certain denominations (or special proof sets) will you find the S of San Francisco. Even rarer? The O of New Orleans (1838-1909), C of Charlotte (1838-1861), D of Dahlonega (1838-1861, gold only), CC of Carson City (1870-1893, gold, silver only). There was also a branch in Manila, Philippines. Only the first three mints are left. Maybe we should lobby for B as in Butte, America, site of the closed Berkeley Copper pit. Butte could use a boost.

We Montanans (at least those of us who use dollar coins) are there for you Butte.


© Copyright 2010 KÃ¥re Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
KÃ¥re Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/691862-Counting-coins