*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693004-An-Average-Josephine
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#693004 added April 12, 2010 at 7:43pm
Restrictions: None
An Average Josephine
Word count: 507

Just an average Joe
is not always a person’s goal,
rather to standout in a crowd
and make one’s family proud.

I am not sure where this poem is going. This is the first stanza; this is the start to a longer poem. This happens sometimes, I start a poem and then simply sit and stare at the screen speculating about the poem. Where is this poem going? Why do people think they have to be above average to make their family proud?

Another interesting thing about the saying “Just an average Joe” is the gender implication. I realize it comes from the fact that for numerous centuries civilization was male dominated. If we lived in a female dominated society the saying would be, “Just an average Josephine”, which brings me to another intriguing thought.

How would human civilization be different if we lived on a planet with a female dominated society? For one thing, women would receive a lot more respect. However, in a case like that the society would be completely different because there would be subtle changes to concepts we take for granted.

I am not sure where this line of thought is going. I started out writing a poem about average. I still have not decided where the poem itself is going. Perhaps I need to start over and attempt writing a form poem. Using a specific poetic form usually helps me when I am having difficulty writing on a particular theme.

There is nothing wrong with being average. I suspect that over 90% of the total population of the world is simply average Joes or Josephines. This leaves about 5% that is above average and 5% that is below average. Average people are in the majority, it is comforting or scary thought depending on one’s point of view.

Average is the middle
the point half way between opposites.

Perhaps I will let the first poem stand as is; leave it lay for a while. Put it aside and work on something else. If the poem is finished, leaving it alone for a while will reveal that. Usually, if I put an unfinished poem aside for a few days something else will come. However, if the poem is finished, attempting to add line will only make it worse.

Just an average Josephine
she has above average dreams,
she wants to be a film star
and set the hearts of average Joes on fire.

There is nothing wrong with being average. If it were not for average people, the cogs of society and civilization would stop running because there would be no one to harvest the crops, run the machines, or fix the cars. It is the average Joe or Josephine that keeps things going. Average people do not get the recognition they deserve.

I think I have finished the poem, I am not sure of the title because “Just an Average Josephine” does not seem to fit. Maybe I should use “Untitled”, I do not like to give poems the designation of “Untitled”.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/693004-An-Average-Josephine