*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694241-Murphy-Strikes-Again
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#694241 added April 25, 2010 at 11:02pm
Restrictions: None
Murphy Strikes Again
Word count: 525

Murphy’s Law states: If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong and at the worst possible moment.

Here I sit at my computer, staring at my modem. The modem is a 660 series modem with four lights that should be on. There is a POWER light, which is a beautiful green, an ETHERNET light, which is a splendid orange, a DSL light, which is an exquisite green, and an INTERNET light, which is not on.

I called the 24/7 support center and the tech informed me that the local office is having technical issues and the local service is down. The man had no idea what the problem was, they dispatched a repair tech to handle the problem. Worst-case scenario the Internet will be down until Monday evening. The tech I talked to said to keep the modem on because when they fixed the problem the INTERNET light will come on.

Here I sit at my computer, typing this document into Microsoft Word and glancing at my modem. I glance at the modem every few minutes hoping to see the INTERNET light shining a gorgeous green. Every time I look at the modem, the INTERNET light is dark. All the other lights on the modem are alive and well, but the INTERNET light is dead.

It is now 4:37:39 PM in Las Vegas that is 7:37:39 PM writing.com time. I have a newsletter finished and ready to submit, but I cannot access the Internet to reach the writing.com website. I am figuratively kicking myself because I did not get the newsletter finished earlier before the Internet went down.

I am attempting to keep busy. If I keep busy or read prayers then I will not worry about something I can do nothing about except worry. I will continue to glance at the modem every few minutes to see if the light is on.

In a few minutes, I am going into the kitchen to put some dishes away. I will return to the living room, where my computer is located to see if the light is on. One thing about this, I get more exercise because I walk back and forth between the kitchen and the living room the check the lights on the modem.

I will finish the dishes. I will finish this document. I will go on to something else, but I will not go to bed. There is no use going to bed because the light might come on while I toss and turn not getting any sleep. If I am not going to sleep then I may as well get some sort of work accomplished.

I have all sorts of things I can do to keep myself occupied while I am waiting for the modem light to come on. I can look in the pantry for a can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste. I am going to make Greek Beef and Pasta this coming week. I have to go to the store for some of the ingredients, plus a set of measuring cups and measuring spoon. Before I buy anything, I want to see what I have on hand.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/694241-Murphy-Strikes-Again