*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696014-May-13Free-Read700-words
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#696014 added May 13, 2010 at 7:51am
Restrictions: None
May 13_Free Read_700 words
Obax and The Night-Riders, Stage Play,


Act One, Scene Three:





ACT ONE, SCENE THREE





                                                                     Savannah, Georgia.


                                                                     May, 1861.


                                                                     Confederate Army


                                                                     Recruiting Depot.


                                                                     Officers Section.


                                                                     Clerk sits behind a                                                                                counter, filling out                                                                                papers. Men of upper                                                                                classes wait in line,                                                                                mostly stationary,                                                                                          although one or two mill                                                                      about, passing in and out                                                                      of their places in line.





                                                 (One of those moving in and out of                                                  line is JUDSON HEATH, of South                                                            Carolina. He is about to be                                                                      appointed as a CAPTAIN in the                                                            cavalry corps, Department of South                                                  Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. He                                                  is the son of an Overseer at                                                                      Murfreighborough Plantation near                                                            Edison, South Carolina. Due to his                                                  social status, he will not be                                                            likely to rise beyond the level of                                                  Captaincy. He is a very                                                                                narcissistic individual, a                                                                      sociopathic personality, with                                                            utterly no compassion nor empathy,                                                  but the ability to mask his                                                                      character and to project a facade                                                            of empathy and friendliness.


                                                 He walks up and down the line until                                                  he reaches a man five deep from the                                                  counter,          SHERROD LACEY NELSON, who                                                  will shortly be appointed MAJOR.)





         


                                                 (SHERROD LACEY NELSON is a compact,                                                  sturdy man of about 5'6, with                                                            piercing blue eyes and jet black                                                            thinning hair, combed straight back                                                  but worn long over the collar. His                                                  clothes are clean but crumpled, in                                                  contrast to JUDSON HEATH's                                                                      spotless, starched, shirt, jacket,                                                  and cotton trousers.He has been                                                            chatting quietly with the man in                                                            front of him and the one directly                                                            behind him, when JUDSON HEATH                                                            approaches him.





                                                 SHERROD LACEY NELSON was born to a                                                  Society family in Savannah,                                                                      Georgia, in 1816. He trained in the                                                   Law at the University of Georgia in                                                  Athens, and has worked as a law                                                            clerk for the State of Georgia                                                            Supreme Court in Atlanta. Most                                                            recently, he has operated a private                                                  law practice here in Savannah.


         





                                                 He is third cousin to Reynolds                                                            Lacey, father of VONDA LACEY, who                                                            will become the wife of HARRALD                                                            NEALM of Brunsmoor, South Georgia,                                                  and the married paramour of CAPTAIN                                                  JUDSON HEATH.)





                                                                     (Just as JUDSON HEATH                                                                                approaches SHERROD LACEY                                                                      NELSON, the CLERK is                                                                                approached by a file clerk                                                                      who enters through the                                                                                rear door of the office,                                                                      some twenty feet behind                                                                                the counter.


                                                                     The two CLERKS whisper                                                                                together, then the seated                                                                      CLERK nods a dismissal. As                                                                      the FILE CLERK leaves                                                                                again through the rear                                                                                door, the CLERK calls up                                                                      the next six men in line,                                                                      together. As JUDSON HEATH                                                                      is now standing directly                                                                      beside SHERROD LACEY                                                                                NELSON, the CLERK assumes                                                                      JUDSON HEATH is a                                                                                          companion to SHERROD LACEY                                                                      NELSON, and so the six go                                                                      up to the counter                                                                                          together:


                                                                     four men ahead of SHERROD                                                                      LACEY NELSON, plus SHERROD                                                                      LACEY NELSON and JUDSON                                                                                HEATH, who now need not                                                                                return to his place in                                                                                line, just as was his                                                                                plan.)





CLERK: You six!


                                                           (motions, in a wide, horseshoe-shaped wave)


                   Up here to the counter, now! I need the next six men: you, you, you, you, and you two together there! Here now, get your papers ready and get your pens-time to enlist. We need officers immediately, to ship out. So get up here and get yourselves enrolled, then come through this gate right here


                                                           (lifts a section of the counter to his right, STAGE LEFT)


                             and go back through that door that Jackson just left through. He'll take you to be fitted for your uniforms at the Seamtresses'.


                                                                     (Quickly all six men show                                                                      their identity paperwork,                                                                      each waiting as THE CLERK                                                                      fills in some forms, then                                                                      each signs and is given an                                                                      order showing his new rank                                                                      and unit assignment and                                                                                location.)





                                                           (The last two men of these six                                                            to leave are SHERROD LACEY                                                                      NELSON, now MAJOR, and JUDSON                                                            HEATH, now CAPTAIN. As they                                                                      pass through the gate in the                                                                      counter, THE CLERK lowers it                                                                      behind them and motions to the                                                            next several men in line, some                                                            of whom are disgruntled because                                                            of JUDSON HEATH'S “cutting in                                                            line.”)





                                                           (MAJOR SHERROD LACEY NELSON                                                                      precedes CAPTAIN JUDSON HEATH                                                            through the rear door, and as                                                            they exit, CAPTAIN JUDSON HEATH                                                            slaps him companionably and too                                                            familiarly on the shoulder,                                                                      speaking to him at a distance                                                            too low to be heard, smiling                                                                      widely.)





                                                                     (Lights dim. Lights out.)





                                                                     END OF ACT ONE, SCENE                                                                                THREE





                                                                     









© Copyright 2010 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/696014-May-13Free-Read700-words