*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705719-Back-to-the-Shfter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#705719 added September 10, 2010 at 12:47am
Restrictions: None
Back to the Shfter
Back to the Shifter

Today I continued working on the shifter dilemma. The problem is to determine the best way to convert a standard transmission that was column shift to a Hurst floor shift transmission.

I made a stand for the transmission I intend to use which is a 1949 Borg Wagner overdrive which was the type originally used in the type Ford I’m refurbishing. One of the first things I did was to make a brace to keep the stand square. In addition I will need to cut a long “V” shaped piece of iron strap to hold the base. Right now the base is being secured by a “Nylon strap Come along.“

One of the facts bearing on the problem is that the shifter needs to be located on the line of the power train, on the base of the transmission not along side it. Another is that from the motor mounts to where the shifter handle needs to come through the floor is 55 inches.

My first course of action was to locate the shifter to the side but that won’t fly because it puts shifter too far to the left of the power train tunnel.

Now it looks like I will need to lengthen the tabs that connect to the two shafts that go into the side of the transmission and control the shifting of the gears internally. Having the stand is a big help and it has given me an idea to mock up a wooden engine and transmission to make sure everything fits and works in harmony before trying to get it right scuttling around on a dolly. This transmission has a couple of solenoids that obstruct access to the left hand side and to the rear where the mounting brackets are going to have to go. Thus the idea came to me to lengthen the tabs on the shifting rods and access them more towards the top rather the come underneath from the side.

Adapting and fabricating is a bit of a pain and it supports my theory that the best way to build a street rod is to find a “Roll-over wrecked truck and use those components to provide the inner works.

Linda is home and it proves the adage that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Tomorrow we go on our trip up the Mississippi which should be a good time together. If you don’t hear from me for a couple of days don’t be wondering where I got off too.


© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/705719-Back-to-the-Shfter