*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708997-Juan-Williams
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#708997 added October 21, 2010 at 3:54pm
Restrictions: None
Juan Williams
    Juan Williams is a good guy. He's willing to talk with his adversaries in a calm and reasonable manner. He uses good sense and seems to have solid values. NPR is giving him a raw deal. NPR is proving to be narrow minded, not open to discussion, and more interested in political correctness than truth or value.

    Mr. Williams was fired by NPR after some remarks made on The O'Reilly Factor on Fox News, where he actually was calling O'Reilly to task for his attitudes and generalizations. Williams was telling a personal fear that most people have in one form or another, but are too chicken to admit. If we all didn't have feelings similar to his, we'd be vulnerable and at risk all the time. But his fear mentioned a specific group in the news recently and ruffled a lot of feathers.

    Now if I, being a white person of light coloring, blue eyes, etc., admitted that when I'm around certain other white people who appear to be rednecks, I'm a little weary and cautious of being robbed or accosted, no one would shout in outrage that I am prejudiced or stereotyping. After all the people in question might have way more income that me, live in better neighborhoods, drive more expensive vehicles, and have higher credit scores. But a certain way they dress or act or speak may cause me to associate them with outlaw types, so I hold my purse a little tighter, tense up, and move a little faster.

      People of other races or ethnic backgrounds might also have individuals capable of theft, drunkenness, of fits of rage. Believe it or not, criminals come in all ethnic backgrounds, America. But apparently if you admit that certain factors frighten you, in any groups other than rednecks, you are politically incorrect and racist, particularly if they are Muslim. At least the media requires that you act trusting of all Muslims, all Hispanics, all blacks, and so forth, and leave yourself wide open to terrorism or personal crime. You are allowed only to suspect rednecks.

        I believe it is in our best interest to be cautious of certain behaviors and attitudes for our own personal safety, as long as we don't cross the line regarding others' rights and safety. Most people in reality have some of those cautions activated, but they don't admit them. The only thing Juan Williams did was admit out loud what most people think, including the people who became alarmed at his comments. The ones who fired him probably feel the same way, but were afraid of what viewers said in response. And those viewers are dishonest if they can't identify in some way themselves, but like causing a controversy.

        NPR was wrong in its action. They had only to issue a statement that Mr. Williams spoke for himself and not their agency. Freedom of speech is a good thing, and all sources of news should continue to stand up for it. Good luck, Mr. Williams. We need to keep your voice in the public. Let's hope this will help your career instead of hurting it.
     

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/708997-Juan-Williams