*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722282-its-half-past-april
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#722282 added April 14, 2011 at 10:14pm
Restrictions: None
it's half past april!
Well, tomorrow is. Half past April and the dreaded tax day. I could write about that now, but I have only a few minutes before the dinner will be ready. Cabbage is cooking, to go with pork roast. What trivial thing that inspired me to write at all--and probably not nearly as worthy as many others that inspired me but didn't get me actually sitting at the computer with this page in front of me-- was the Sears ad in the paper. The man is wearing a suit and tie, the woman a dress (although very short), and the little girl has on a dress and an 'Easter bonnet' and is carrying a basket as if for eggs. (I should go back and look, because i've maybe made up those last two items.) Anyway, here in the West, that would be an unusual event. Women don't wear dresses very often. Men don't wear suits very often. And families seldom look like they're headed out for Easter services. In fact, I wonder if many of the young families even know Easter as anything other than eggs and bunnies. Even the Easter bonnets are passe.
So who is Sears marketing to?

Even the "Christmas and Easter" Christians are a much smaller bunch than usual.

What do you think? What goes on at your place for this holiday? What do kids think it's about? Just another excuse for candy, I suspect. Bah humbug.

© Copyright 2011 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/722282-its-half-past-april