*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714743-if-it-doesnt-get-better
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#714743 added January 5, 2011 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
if it doesn't get better...
Well, I guess I know by now that doctors usually say one of two things: "Why didn't you come in sooner?" or "If it doesn't get better, come back." I prefer the second one, even though I always feel a little foolish to have: a.). Bothered them ???!!! b. Spent the money to see them, and c. Wasted my time.

The UA came back negative, so she didn't think it was a kidney infection. But, as she said after the exam, there are a lot of things down there that it could be. So, if it gets worse this week, or doesn't get better by next week, call.

Okay. I can do that.

I didn't get much done at work, unfortunately. Called a new patient I hadn't seen yet, but she was already dying, and her daughter said she had had the priest there and didn't need me. Okay. Another new one died the day he was admitted. Now that's discouraging. I have one more new one to meet tomorrow and hear that I'll really enjoy him. Darn, I hope he lives longer than my recent patients that I felt a bond to.

The wife of a local hospitalist sent us a copy of an article from The New Yorker from sometime this fall. It was terrific. It covered all the reasons why it's so difficult for patients, doctors, and the healthcare system to actually focus on quality of life for whatever time remains rather than continuing to try for a treatment that will give them maybe an extra month or two at best, and lousy quality during that time, most likely in the hospital instead of at home. If any of you are interested, I'll get the exact date and title of the article for you to read.

Bill got to fly tonight, and that makes me very happy. He doesn't have his medical back yet, ever since his surgery last spring, but could and should get at it. In the meantime he went up, in our plane, with a doctor friend who is an instructor. The plane needed flying, and so did both men. A good time was had by all, even in the freezing cold.

I spent time talking on the phone to my son, and he told me about Pandora radio that he listens to on his computer. I know Bill listens to iTunes all the time and has tried to get me interested, but so far has not tempted me. I tried Pandora tonight and am really enjoying it. Hap's suggestions included a Russian group with pretty off-color lyrics but a great, sort of reggae beat. He's my kid who introduced me to Pink Floyd and Robert Marley. I've been listening to the track from O Brother Where Art Thou and other Bluegrass music including Flatt and Scruggs. Now I've got some soft gospel on, something I don't like on regular radio, but like the artists I've picked on Pandora. I don't like sentimental religious music. In fact, I think I'll go give a thumbs down to this particular selection. But I do like John Michael Talbot and the St. Louis Jesuits.

It must be about bed time. I'm reading a lousy book now, one of the only ones I thought i might like by the time I got to the last book store in the San Diego airport. The first three all had good titles, but once past security I was stuck with choices I didn't like. I'd never ready Philippa Gregory before, and I am interested in England, but The White Queen isn't my kind of book. I won't pick that author again, but will probably finish reading it.

I think I'll buy a Kindle for my son for his birthday. I'm just debating about which one. Does he need 3G, or will that be an extra monthly cost? Any suggestions? I have a Sony Reader I bought Bill last year for Christmas. He downloaded Sarah Palin's book and gave it to me. I have no interest in her book, but finally decided to see what else I can do with it since he isn't going to. He's been reading something on his Android phone with a Kindle ap.

© Copyright 2011 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714743-if-it-doesnt-get-better