*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723745-Lazuras
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1775121
A violent story about revenge, love, war and a homecoming that can never be
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#723745 added June 2, 2011 at 12:22am
Restrictions: None
Lazuras
Prologue

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump.  He could hear his heart beating.  He could feel the warm flow of the blood through his veins.  It was a comforting womb-like experience.  That he was keenly aware that he should not be feeling anything bothered him.  That he could not remember why bothered him even more.  Gradually, other sounds and feelings began to penetrate the murky bog of his mind, the rustling of papers, the fleeting breath of someone passing nearby.  The only notion of time he had during this period was the regular coming and going of activity his vicinity.  Weeks passed this way as more and more he perceived glimpses of the outside world, the continual beep of a heart monitor, the prick of an injection, the smell of soap on the cold hands that examined his head.  He was in a hospital, he knew there was a reason just within reach but try as he might he could find no answer.  Miles off in the distance, the regular buzz of voices returned but something now happened.  He picked out a voice that his subconscious told him he should know, it was feminine, reserved and commanding ….”the patient”
“Dr. Keyes”…heart rate….faint”
Heart, why was heart important to him?
“Let me see him”
He started slipping away until he felt a slender hand on his heart it began pumping adrenaline through his veins like a lightning strike in recognition of the touch and his mind raced as he began to remember who he was
…The news feed showing the plane crashing into the World Trade Center flashed through his mind…
He shot up in his bed.
…The knife once again was thrust into his chest by the man he had once trusted beyond all measure…
He held his chest gasping at the agony the wound had brought him
…He saw Martin above him, killed once again while dragging him to safety…
“He’s coming back”
“I know that.  Get your people ready, we can’t risk losing him again.”
…The golden leaves of fall carpeted the forest as the cold bit at his face…
“His entire nervous system is reacting”
“Damn it Krieger, he is not ready”
…He stood in his school hall a cacophony of screams came from all directions…
“His brain activity is spiking at 87%”
…He was running down a hallway with a mass of panicked people as men with RPD machine guns and Molotov’s who were striding calmly down the hall…
He remembered the fear of that day but now it was primal rage that consumed him
…He held a large shard of glass from a shattered window and she was close behind him.  All that stood in the way of their escape was a lone gunman, his attention on the closet he was searching…
“He’s going into shock”
“We need to sedate him”
“We can’t he’s maxed out already.  More might kill him”
…There was cruelty in the eyes of the man standing over him briefly replaced by a look of understanding before leading his companions away, leaving him on the floor, abandoned by all his strength.  He did not die that day and that is why he hated the man…
DO IT Krieger, we’re running out of time’    a strong pair of arms held him down.
…As the three men walked away he heard her calling his name, pleading for help.  He had never seen her again…
“Sophie” he cried as his eyes opened.  A hospital room came into view occupied only by him and the team attending him.  Directing the team and holding him down was a tall raven haired woman in a black and white suit districting her from the others. For the first time in over twelve years Mark Rayder beheld Sophie Nolder.
“you’re going into cardiac arrest. You woke up too early. Do you understand?”
He nodded.
“We’re going to sedate you so that we can get your body back on track.  Don’t fight it.”  She told him. Overwhelmed with emotions he clung to her for what seemed like an eternity as he faded back into the darkness.”
© Copyright 2011 Riddick07 (UN: hunterrector at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Riddick07 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723745-Lazuras