*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728565-Happiness-Harmony-and-Suffering
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#728565 added July 13, 2011 at 2:15pm
Restrictions: None
Happiness, Harmony, and Suffering
30-Day blogging challenge Day 13: July 13, 2011 ~ Prompt: Happiness “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -Mohandas Gandhi Do you think this to be true? What brings you the greatest happiness in your life? What is one of your happiest moments?”

Happiness is a spiritual attribute; it is an emotion of the soul. A person does not have to be wealthy or good looking to be happy. As long as a person’s thoughts, words, and actions are in unity with his spiritual that person is happy. That person wakes up each morning giving thanks for life.

Often a person puts limits on happiness by saying, “When I have enough money to pay my bills, I will be happy.” Since happiness is an emotion of the soul then it basis is spiritual rather then material or physical. Material wealth and physical health might give us pleasure, but not happiness. True happiness not only gives us pleasure, but it gives the soul and mind wings.

If we base our happiness on material things or earthly pleasures and these things disappear then we are unhappy, depressed, and disappointed. One day a person can be wealthy and the next day that wealth is taken away the person becomes unhappy. The same can be said for physical health or beauty because in these things can disappear.

Happiness has many components. One of the components is harmony, but suffering is also a component of happiness. Suffering helps, the individual develop spiritual attributes. On a personal level, suffering brings our thoughts, words, and actions into harmony by learning self-sacrifice and putting the needs of others before our own. When we witness the suffering of others and attempt to relieve that suffering, we are promoting the welfare and happiness of humanity, other living creatures, and the Earth itself. In addition, we are reflecting the harmony of our thoughts and words through action.

Now to answer the question, “What brings me my greatest happiness?” I am happiest when I mention the name of Baha’u’llah to someone. I am happiest when I am reading the prayers and scriptures revealed by Baha’u’llah and the Bab or the prayers written by ‘Abdu’l-Baha.

Happiness Quotes


“We desire but the good of the world and the happiness of the nations; yet they deem Us a stirrer up of strife and sedition worthy of bondage and banishment...” ~ Baha'u'llah, The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. viii

“True happiness depends on spiritual good and having the heart ever open to receive the Divine Bounty.” ~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 108

“To attain eternal happiness one must suffer. He who has reached the state of self-sacrifice has true joy. Temporal joy will vanish.” ~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 179

© Copyright 2011 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728565-Happiness-Harmony-and-Suffering