*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732118-The-White-Bat
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#732118 added August 21, 2011 at 7:18am
Restrictions: None
The White Bat

The White Bat

Karen had an idea and that is that we blog about something we had written that struck our fancy. I wrote this poem and I like it.

When I was young and foolish,
My girlfriend said to me…
I’ll be with you darling through all eternity.
Now I’m old and wiser,
And it’s plain to see,
Eternity’s not half as long as it’s cracked up to be.

This poem expresses the whacked out humor I love… that used to make my daughter’s groan. They tell me my grandson’s inherited the same corn-ball, whacked out gene. The more fractured and disjointed the reach, the more it makes me chuckle.

Today I had a good day… I bought an hour meter so I know when to change oil in the Studebaker. For those who are not familiar with this type of gage it is common to farm tractors where it is used to schedule periodic maintenance. Miles are not as good a measure because it takes a tractor longer to go one and it is usually pulling a load. Anyway an hour meter gage is easy to install. You find a switched power wire and hook one end to the input tab and the other to a ground and voila, when you turn the ignition on it starts recording and when you turn it off, it stops. How simple is that?

Underneath where I have my volt, hot water, and oil pressure gage there is a panel intended for some obscure purpose and I intend to use the space for a speedometer, tachometer and my newly acquired hour meter. I’m building the bracket and making it so it’s canted for better visibility behind the wheel.

Linda bought me a bronze of a girl leaning forward on her elbow that I think I will use for the hood ornament. It's really a nice piece and it lends some over stated elegance to the old farm truck. You know that famous painting of the girl on the side of a hill, (Whistler?) sitting in the grass, looking back at a farmhouse in the distance….you do?….you don’t…. anyway this bronze looks like that girl in that painting.

While I was in town I stopped at the flea market and what to my surprise… (No, I didn't discover a BOOM ba BOOM! right before my eyes) A guy had a craftsman compressor and a spray unit for $15. It actually runs and makes pressure. Now I need a fitting to hook the plastic air hose to the gun. Did I tell you about spraying painting the outhouse and there was a bat inside and for the next month we had a white bat flying around? Luckily it was water soluable paint and I’m sure the first rain he returned to normal bat color... but even Linda chuckled about that one. Please don’t report me to PETA…it was an accident.

On Thursday I went with Linda to Marshfield and we bought a wrought iron archway that will go through the hedge into the barnyard. It has swinging doors and a locking bolt. Whoever built it did a whole lot of work on it and what we purchased it for was half of what I expected. It was rusty and some clear coat had been applied over it. Today I took a wire brush on a drill and cleaned it up and spray painted it flat black with a rattle can. I wish I had that sprayer this morning … it would have been a good test of whether or not it works.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732118-The-White-Bat