*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733161-Eyam-and-a-well-dressing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#733161 added September 3, 2011 at 2:16pm
Restrictions: None
Eyam and a well-dressing

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

ME:

I put on my black clothes last night to go to Julia's for dinner.

I felt properly dressed.

But here in the High Peaks they dress wells. Eyam's wells have been well-dressed.

Kathy, Nick and I showed up on the right day.We wandered around the village known for its role during a plague in 1665. No signs of the plague other than the tombs. Seemed safe enough.

The church is quite old and has a nice Saxon cross in the yard. Everything here is stone. As is almost everything in the High Peaks.

We saw performers, visited museums and ...

Well, I'll finish after supper...

...cottage pie consumed. Eyam had quarries, wells, lead mines, wool, cotton, silk, shoes and slippers... It has redefined itself over the centuries. We saw a place that does ceramics, another where the artist paints silk

The well-dressings reminded me of the flower and/or paper floats in the U.S. The festival had a small country fair atmosphere. The parade was quirky. A bit like the Dead of the Dead in Missoula with costumed participants. A group of dancing belly-dancers put on an awesome performance. The Punch and Judy puppets mesmerized the children. I avoided the candy-floss.

In all, a very nice day.

And then we came back through the "snake" to Glossop. Was able to be upclose to heather and bog.

This is Eyam:

Eyam:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyamhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyam
23,569

© Copyright 2011 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733161-Eyam-and-a-well-dressing